Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR masks  (Read 1130 times)

Jonathan Cross

LR masks
« on: October 30, 2022, 05:17:00 am »

I could be tempted by a Leica Q2 Monochrom.. The latest version of LR has introduced new masking options such as Objects.

The Help page gives examples of their use all with color images.  Does anyone know from experience whether these options work with images from a monochrome sensor?  Just a simple, but important, question to me!

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: LR masks
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 09:54:45 am »

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 12:00:40 pm »

Great idea Mike - thanks.  Will do and put what happens on this thread.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 09:48:32 am »

I could be tempted by a Leica Q2 Monochrom.. The latest version of LR has introduced new masking options such as Objects.

The Help page gives examples of their use all with color images.  Does anyone know from experience whether these options work with images from a monochrome sensor?  Just a simple, but important, question to me!

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Yes they work--not the color range of course.

As an aside, I bought a Monochrom a while back and was totally underwhelmed, I returned it. A great camera to be sure but the "advantages" of the monochrome sensor seem to be mostly in the imaginations of the ad copywriters. And you lose the flexibility of using LR's tools for color-to-BW conversion. At about $15k for a camera and one lens, no thanks.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 04:16:22 pm »

Yes, Peter, you are right, the LR masks work.  I tried them on some Q2 sample RAW images (thanks Mike).  I did find that if I pushed sliders quite a way a halo could appear round a selected object so there may be a limit to what you can do.  Sky selection worked well even if there was a jagged skyline or the sky was in more than one area with an object between the camera and the sky.

I also tried a field of view calculation on the preset camera crops assuming the subject was 15 feet away.  Even the 75mm crop seems that it can be printed up to 10.5" x 7" at 300dpi, and the 50mm at 15"x10"

Lots to think about, including money!

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up