Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji upcoming x-t5  (Read 2747 times)

bluekorn

Fuji upcoming x-t5
« on: October 23, 2022, 03:42:44 pm »

There has to be a downside to 40 megapixels in an aps-c sensor. Or not? Can anyone speak to this?

armand

• Photos
Re: Fuji upcoming x-t5
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 11:23:03 pm »

Will follow; I was hoping the X-T5 will be a lower pixel camera, I already have higher resolution camera and 26-30 MP are enough for the vast majority of uses. I might just have to look more at the X-H2s.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 05:19:34 am »

When pixels shrink I usually worry that noise will increase if no other tech improvement goes with it.  Photonstophotos is my usual reference and the X H2 data has been published.  At 1st glance it appears to be better than the H2S at low ISO and matches for the rest.  The H2S has a stacked sensor which might have something to do with it.  You can add other APSC cameras to the chart as well.

I've not checked actual photo noise on the DPR website which is my usual next stop.

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#FujiFilm%20X-H2,FujiFilm%20X-H2S

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 06:24:28 am »

I knew about the noise not being a problem with the higher resolution sensor, however it does have less dynamic range. If I didn’t have a high resolution camera (Z7, waiting for Z7iii) or even one on my Olympuses? with high resolution mode, I would have been more interested.

I would like to keep the Fuji system a little simpler, handheld mostly, and would take speed and higher dynamic range vs a little extra noise. I still use the X-T2 and would appreciate some extra stabilization for the primes, the 90 F2 in particular.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 10:02:22 am »

I still use the X-T2 and would appreciate some extra stabilization for the primes, the 90 F2 in particular.

I've been satisfied with the sensor-based image stabilization of the X-T4.  My hands aren't as steady as they once were and I'm seeing far less blur from camera motion with unstabilized lenses than I did on the earlier XT models.  I'll be interested to learn whether it works as well with the new 40 Mpx sensor.

When you combine the XT-4's in-body stabilization with lens stabilization, it's quite uncanny.  Looking through my handheld 70-300mm is almost like having it on a tripod.  If anything is blurred in the frame, it's likely to be due to subject motion.

Rand47

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 10:05:54 am »

I would like to keep the Fuji system a little simpler, handheld mostly, and would take speed and higher dynamic range vs a little extra noise. I still use the X-T2 and would appreciate some extra stabilization for the primes, the 90 F2 in particular.

I had figured my X-T3 to be the end of the road for Fuji X cameras and me.  The conversion to the forward facing flippy screen on the X-T4 was a breaking point for me.  I very much dislike that kind of implementation, and have always thought Fuji’s 3 way tilt screen concept to be pretty much perfect for my style / use-cases in shooting.  Looks like the X-T5 will be both a little smaller than the X-T4 and have the more Fuji-traditional 3 way tilt screen! (Fujirumors) Hurrah!  I’ve already contacted my dealer to be first on the list if these rumored specs are correct.  I shoot GFX for a lot of my work, but the X-T cameras are a very nice “drag everywhere” kit.  Since the sample photos from the new 40 MP sensor look pretty darn good to me, this will be a nice incremental step up for the X.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

bluekorn

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 03:01:41 pm »

Thank you kindly for your reflections. With the size of the x-t5 being a wee bit smaller and the reported return to the 3-way tilt I too had been eager to get toward the front of the line, but there does seem to be some hesitancy regarding the crowded sensor. I'm going to wait for performance reports from those who forge ahead and are hopefully more generally informed about the inner workings of these Fuji marvels.

Peter

Benny Profane

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2022, 10:14:48 am »

Isn't this the same sensor as the H2?

I have recently looked into tether shooting as I set up a small studio, and found out the smaller XT30 does not accommodate that, so, Hopefully the XT5 does, or, it looks like an H2 for me.

Chris Kern

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2022, 10:40:11 am »

Isn't this the same sensor as the H2?

Reportedly yes, but probably with somewhat different firmware—among other reasons, presumably to better manage heat dissipation when shooting video with the smaller body.

Benny Profane

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2022, 08:52:21 pm »

Never ever use video. Sad that this is a major tech race in cameras, and determines design and engineering, for, I guess, marketing, but I could care less. Would cameras be lighter and stronger and better designed if they had zero video capability?

Benny Profane

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2022, 01:43:21 pm »

Interesting comparison. Made me look at used XT3 and XT4 pricing, and, that, unfortunately, is still pretty high. The release of the XT5 has not brought that down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MWWq2RDEw0&t=74s

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2022, 02:06:59 pm »

There is a list of Fuji lenses that will give benefit on the X-T5. Google will show it. When I spoke to Fuji UK they said all their lenses will work but those on the list will work best without saying what they mean. If you are thinking of upgrading just check your lenses. I am probably going to stick with my X-T4. I have the original 56mm lens which I use for portraits but it is not on the  X-T5 list.

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

Chris Kern

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2022, 04:03:49 pm »

Made me look at used XT3 and XT4 pricing, and, that, unfortunately, is still pretty high. The release of the XT5 has not brought that down.

I sold an XT-3 with 16.5K shutter actuations that was in "excellent" mechanical and cosmetic condition to one of the usual retail suspects for US$570.  They will probably resell it for a little over US$900.  (I purchased it new for US$1499 back in Nov., 2018.)

There is a list of Fuji lenses that will give benefit on the X-T5. Google will show it. When I spoke to Fuji UK they said all their lenses will work but those on the list will work best without saying what they mean.

I don't see a huge difference in intrinsic image quality between the X-T4 and the X-T5 with any lens.  Obviously, a lens that resolves exceptionally well can eke out more detail than one with more modest resolution, but based on my early experience with the X-T5 that's just as true at 26 Mpx as at 40 Mpx.  The reason I traded up from an X-T3 is that I wanted a second body that had sensor-based stabilization since the Fuji primes lack lens-based stabilization.

I haven't had an opportunity to compare the autofocus performance between the X-T4 and the X-T5, but focus accuracy when using the machine-learning features (e.g., face and eye detection) is noticeably better with the latter, probably because the X-T5 processor has more compute cycles.

I'm sure the extra resolution will come in handy on occasions when I want to crop an image aggressively, but the difference between 26 and 40 Mpx strikes me as incremental.  It's important to remember that there can be quite a bit of variation between samples of the same lens model, so generic comparisons of which lenses work better with the higher-resolution body are only generalizations.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 04:19:14 pm by Chris Kern »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2023, 09:36:21 pm »

Still on the fence. What I want is H-2S guts in a X-T5 body.

Benny Profane

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2023, 11:22:11 am »

I want an XE5, for cycling, with the pancake lens. Or, at least an XE4, but, can't find one.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2023, 02:53:21 pm »

I want an XE5, for cycling, with the pancake lens. Or, at least an XE4, but, can't find one.
Love my X-E4 with 27mm lens. It’s always in my small shoulder bag. None seem available in UK except one or two ‘like new’ on MPB, a UK and European web used kit company. I have bought one or two lenses from them and been very happy.
Keep looking!
Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

armand

• Photos
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2023, 11:34:31 pm »

If I want to be slow and compact I still have the X-E1 (my first Fuji) with the 27mm and it works just fine focus wise. And the batteries are the same. Which brings me to one of my points of discontent with the camera makers that they change the batteries with every new camera, the Fuji didn't have the greatest battery but I have plenty and they fit all the cameras that I have from them.

Chris Kern

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2023, 06:35:18 pm »

I gave away my X-E2 to a granddaughter when I acquired my second X-T* body—and while I've passed on replacing it since then, I agree it's an excellent form factor for a carry-around camera if you want interchangeable lenses.  I would eagerly pop for an X-E5 if it offered image-stabilization.

Which might be feasible, notwithstanding the body's small size.  Patrick over at FujiRumors has posted an English synopsis of a video in Japanese in which four Fujifilm employees discuss the design and technology of the X-T5.

A couple of points they made regarding the sensor image-stabilization hardware suggest that a similar subsystem might work in a future X-E5 camera:
  • "In terms of IBIS, Fuji has optimized the placement of the magnetic circuit in the X-S10, allowing to create a fairly small IBIS unit.  X-T5 uses the smaller X-S10 IBIS unit and now it has up to 7 stops stabilization[;]
  • "The IBIS unit on the X-T5 is 16% in volume and 14% in weight compared to the IBIS unit of X-T4[.]"
Assuming the current Fuji processor could be retrofitted to an X-E5—which seems plausible—it should also be feasible to offer the computational enhancements offered by the X-H2, X-H2s, and X-T5 bodies.

Obviously, Fuji would need to decide that providing these enhancements in a less-expensive body wouldn't undermine the market for the more expensive products, but there may be enough differentiation in the designs of the three camera lines to persuade them of that.

The X-Pro product?  I'm skeptical.
Pages: [1]   Go Up