Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro-2100: does it have automatic detection of matte or glossy type?  (Read 366 times)

raminolta

I am wondering if Canon pro line printers (2100, 4100, etc.) can detect the paper type that is if it is matte or glossy? My understanding is that they are able to detect the paper thickness hence, automatically adjust the head height and vacuum strength.

reason for asking: I have a glossy canvas roll that I would like to use. In the list of paper types in the media configuration tool there is a generic canvas profile which is called just 'Canvas'. In its properties, both mbk and pbk (matte and photo black) are stated to be used by the printer for this paper. I am wondering how the printer would know if your paper is glossy or matte to use matte or photo ink unless the printer can detect the type? For most other papers, it is either mbk or pbk but for a few papers, both ink types are mentioned which is puzzling unless the printer has a way to know which ink to use depending on the paper.

TheNinth

• The Ninth

No, there is no automatic detection of whether a paper is matte or glossy. The „recipe“ of ink the printer puts down depends on the media type you choose when printing. And the separation of matte and glossy inks is not strict, the printer may use both types of ink on one type of paper. If you are interested in details of ink usage you could install the Canon Accounting Manager tool, it will give you exact amounts of each ink used for every print.
My website: www.the-ninth.com

raminolta

I see. Thanks for the information.
Pages: [1]   Go Up