Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement for NEC PA301W monitor  (Read 2812 times)

PeterAit

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4647
    • Peter Aitken Photographs
Replacement for NEC PA301W monitor
« on: October 14, 2022, 04:01:11 pm »

I have this monitor and love it. I want to buy a second one but it is no longer available. What would be a good substitute in the 30 inch class?
Logged

geneo

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 152
Re: Replacement for NEC PA301W monitor
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 05:44:46 pm »

I have this monitor and love it. I want to buy a second one but it is no longer available. What would be a good substitute in the 30 inch class?

Eizo?

https://www.eizoglobal.com/products/coloredge/index.html
Logged
Walk softly and carry a big lens

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4604
    • Pieter Kers
Re: Replacement for NEC PA301W monitor
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 03:57:26 am »

I have this monitor and love it. I want to buy a second one but it is no longer available. What would be a good substitute in the 30 inch class?

I also like the 1600 x 2560 screen- i bought a second hand one - in my case an Eizo 303w
Logged

tastar

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 123
    • http://www.tastarsupply.com
Re: Replacement for NEC PA301W monitor
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 07:53:06 pm »

How about an Asus ProArt 32 inch display:

Asus ProArt 32 in. Display

100% Adobe RGB, 3840X2160

$1,099.00

Tony
Logged

nemophoto

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1037
    • Nemo Niemann Photography
Re: Replacement for NEC PA301W monitor
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 11:46:03 am »

Wow. Specs look great for the Asus. I have two Viewsonic VP2785-4K that I love, but if I was in the market, I'd go for the Asus. (My Viewsonic are no longer made and have been replaced by something else.) I've always found the Eizo to be overpriced and under spec'd.
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21652
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Replacement for NEC PA301W monitor
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 11:52:39 am »

This part looks useful, I'd like to know if one can utilize this with custom (user) targets:

Quote
The ASUS ProArtâ„¢ Calibration Technology saves all color parameter profiles on the PA329C's internal scaler IC chip instead of the PC. This lets you connect PA329C to different devices without needing to continuously change existing settings. It also reduces the signal distortion between the IC and the LCD optical spectrum. The color profiles can be easily activated by using the hotkey on the monitor next time without a PC or calibrators

Can you change on the fly like SpectraView?
But if like my 16" Apple Retinal display, a true HDR unit, I'd be very interested.
The price seems a bit too good to be true, that's my only concern at this point.
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

nemophoto

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1037
    • Nemo Niemann Photography
Re: Replacement for NEC PA301W monitor
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 12:15:22 pm »

Andrew, my Viewsonic do a similar thing. I can calibrate my monitors and save them to one of three custom profiles (CAL1, CAL2, CAL3) that are saved directly on the monitor on the monitor as well as the computer. I imagine the Asus is set up in a similar fashion.
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21652
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Replacement for NEC PA301W monitor
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2023, 12:16:43 pm »

Andrew, my Viewsonic do a similar thing. I can calibrate my monitors and save them to one of three custom profiles (CAL1, CAL2, CAL3) that are saved directly on the monitor on the monitor as well as the computer. I imagine the Asus is set up in a similar fashion.
Only three?
And so it loads the calibration into the panel and loads the correct ICC profile for the OS and applications?
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

nemophoto

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1037
    • Nemo Niemann Photography
Re: Replacement for NEC PA301W monitor
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2023, 12:40:27 pm »

There are standard, factory-developed profiles and then the ones you can do yourself with i1, etc. The Viewsonic uses its own calibration software to load the profile into the monitor as well as save to the computer. For instance, the AdobeRGB profile uses a maximum brightness of 160. But, I prefer to use 200, or even 250, I can save those to the Cal1 ro Cal2, etc. and switch on the fly depending upon work. In reality, I don't switch around very often, but I have on occasion depending upon the need. An then there's also "Custom" which I'm currently using since I used i1 Profiler the last time.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up