Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canson Infinity Arches 88 Settings?  (Read 1762 times)

Schrades

Canson Infinity Arches 88 Settings?
« on: September 30, 2022, 04:30:24 pm »

Now that Arches 88 has been available for awhile now, I'm hoping someone can advise me on the correct print settings to use with my Epson P800 printer.
Using the front paper loader, which Epson Media type equivalent is the best to use?  I've read elsewhere on this forum that the recommended Velvet Fine Art setting is incorrect, and that it lays down too much black ink. Hi-speed checked?  And Advanced Media Control settings?  I'm sure a lot of you have this all worked out, so any info provided would be greatly appreciated!

Dave
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 08:40:52 pm by Schrades »

Rand47

Re: Canson Infinity Arches 88 Settings?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 09:52:18 am »

I don’t have an 800, I’m printing on a 7570 Epson - but I use a lot of Arches 88.  I built my media type from Velvet Fine Art (as recommended by Canson) and it works beautifully.  I’ve not reduced the ink density in the driver at all.  I print a lot of black and white images, and am very impressed with the black density possible with this matte paper.  I never print high speed.  For a matte paper the color gamut is very good.  Soft proofing requires much less tweaking on this matte than any other matte paper I use.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 01:50:10 pm »

I am printing on a HP Z3200 and agree that Arches 88 can absorb much ink (more than HM308) and has vivid colours and very deep blacks for a matte paper.
In combination with being an archival paper with a relative very white base it seems splendid paper. It also flattens very well. What is not to like is the price....The Z3200 is also a slow printer that allows ink to dry.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 03:13:21 pm »

Download this test file for visually examining ink density. Used to test best media settings for 3rd party papers:
http://digitaldog.net/files/InkDensity.zip
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

KeithR

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2022, 03:40:28 pm »

I get this:
"InkDensity.zip can't be downloaded securely"
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2022, 04:02:30 pm »

I get this:
"InkDensity.zip can't be downloaded securely"
Zero issues on this end.
You can try my public Dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ch5wjmwagao4voh/InkDensity.tif?dl=0
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 04:05:52 pm by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Schrades

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 06:02:34 pm »

Thanks for all the replies and advice.  In my p800 driver’s  Advanced Media Control settings, the values set for Velvet Fine Art Paper are:

Color Density: 0
Drying Time per Print Head Pass: 0
Paper Feed Adjustment: 0
Paper Thickness: 5
Platen Gap: Standard

These sound about right. Is anyone using different settings?

Thanks in advance, David

bteifeld

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 07:12:25 am »

Download this test file for visually examining ink density. Used to test best media settings for 3rd party papers:

Could you please provide a link to any information you may have provided regarding
the usage instructions for this test file? My thanks in advance.
Ergosoft Authorized Reseller, Color Services(calibration/profiling/spot color improvement), Printing

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 10:24:58 am »

thanks - i will try it...
no problem downloading...since i trust you!
i guess - address the specific colorspace you print from and apply more ink until the patches close..

« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 10:36:24 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Paul_Roark

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 10:44:51 am »

"ARCHES® 88. Made of 100% cotton, ... The unique inkjet receiving layer ... "   (https://www.canson-infinity.com/en/products/archesr-88)

I would love to hear how they made an inkjet receptor coating out of 100% cotton.  Pardon my skepticism, but I don't think this is a true watercolor paper at all.

In the past, I tried many true, un-coated watercolor papers (including Arches 88) to see if they were suitable for inkjet printing.  None were competitive in terms of dmax when using the Epson driver.  The best way I found to print a good black and white image on un-coated watercolor paper was to use a RIP (QuadToneRip in particular), have two positions of MK, and set the total ink load to 126.   This was with third party (then MIS, now STS) carbon pigments.  The paper that did best was Arches 140 lb. (about 300 gsm) full sheet (22 x 30 inches) paper.

It is the case that Epson MK is darker than this third party MK.  So, at least with a RIP, one might be able to get a decent dmax out of Epson MK, but I doubt it.  I would like to see spectrophotometer data on the dmax that is achievable with the OEM MK.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

deanwork

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 05:32:56 pm »

Arches 88 has been around for decades as an uncoated printmaking paper, used a lot in silkscreen work. I’m pretty sure that original uncoated  version is still being sold.

This version is a 100% cotton ( like Rag Photographique, Edition Etching, etc. ) which is coated for inkjet obviously.

Awesome paper and a great comeback for Canson-Arches. I haven’t seen anything else like it in a matte media.
These papers are way more durable than any Hahnemuehle. It’s almost enough to make me quit using semi gloss at all. But yea….the price….. Their BFK and The new Aquerelle is a real step forward as well.

John

"ARCHES® 88. Made of 100% cotton, ... The unique inkjet receiving layer ... "   (https://www.canson-infinity.com/en/products/archesr-88)

I would love to hear how they made an inkjet receptor coating out of 100% cotton.  Pardon my skepticism, but I don't think this is a true watercolor paper at all.

In the past, I tried many true, un-coated watercolor papers (including Arches 88) to see if they were suitable for inkjet printing.  None were competitive in terms of dmax when using the Epson driver.  The best way I found to print a good black and white image on un-coated watercolor paper was to use a RIP (QuadToneRip in particular), have two positions of MK, and set the total ink load to 126.   This was with third party (then MIS, now STS) carbon pigments.  The paper that did best was Arches 140 lb. (about 300 gsm) full sheet (22 x 30 inches) paper.

It is the case that Epson MK is darker than this third party MK.  So, at least with a RIP, one might be able to get a decent dmax out of Epson MK, but I doubt it.  I would like to see spectrophotometer data on the dmax that is achievable with the OEM MK.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

fgorga

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 07:49:00 pm »

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

I think that Paul's skepticism is a bit unfair. Many inkjet coated papers are described by the composition of the base paper. Thus singling out Canson in this regard is a bit snarky in my opinion.

That said, the original (non-inkjet) version of Arches 88 is not a watercolor paper. Rather, it is an unsized paper intended for printmaking. Thus, it is unsuitable for any aqueous-based process as it comes from the mill; it is simply too absorbent.

As an aside, I have tried the non-inkjet Arches 88, after sizing (with either arrowroot starch or gelatin, if I remember correctly). for alternative process printing and it is still very absorbent.

As for printing on paper not specifically coated for inkjet printing, I routinely print on both hot press watercolor papers and printmaking papers using both Epson OEM inks (and the Epson driver) and Piezography Pro inks with QTR.

The prints I make on these papers are then hand-colored so I am not particularly concerned about the ultimate in Dmax. In my view, the "problem" with prints on the papers not meant for inkjet printing is dot gain. They don't work well if one needs really sharp prints.

--- Frank
     www.frg-photo.com
Personal, noncommercial website... www.gorga.org/blog

deanwork

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2022, 01:12:15 am »

It’s been so long since I used Arches 88, uncoated BFK, or Arches Buff, Fabriano, or or any of those, but we sized them with hot Knox gelatin for silkscreens and gum printing. That’s not a solution for inkjet.  They are way more absorbent than Arches Hotpress which is more of an etching paper.

What is really helping these days with inkjet on any of these papers, including mulberry, is the great MK dmax from Epsons new black, and Cones great really noticeable MK improvement. If it’s linearized well,  the best uncoated papers can be cool for a lot of things, photogravure, etc.

John

I think that Paul's skepticism is a bit unfair. Many inkjet coated papers are described by the composition of the base paper. Thus singling out Canson in this regard is a bit snarky in my opinion.

That said, the original (non-inkjet) version of Arches 88 is not a watercolor paper. Rather, it is an unsized paper intended for printmaking. Thus, it is unsuitable for any aqueous-based process as it comes from the mill; it is simply too absorbent.

As an aside, I have tried the non-inkjet Arches 88, after sizing (with either arrowroot starch or gelatin, if I remember correctly). for alternative process printing and it is still very absorbent.

As for printing on paper not specifically coated for inkjet printing, I routinely print on both hot press watercolor papers and printmaking papers using both Epson OEM inks (and the Epson driver) and Piezography Pro inks with QTR.

The prints I make on these papers are then hand-colored so I am not particularly concerned about the ultimate in Dmax. In my view, the "problem" with prints on the papers not meant for inkjet printing is dot gain. They don't work well if one needs really sharp prints.

--- Frank
     www.frg-photo.com

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2022, 09:18:07 am »

How about InkAid....anyone have any experience with that.  They have been around from before coated papers came about.  If that works as well as OEM papers (or close,) it opens up whole set of options for papers from the artistic paper world.

:Niranjan.

deanwork

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2022, 03:44:09 pm »

Not even remotely close. It obliterates the surface texture and quality of the media. I’d rather print on rc papers than use that.

quote author=nirpat89 link=topic=141481.msg1246399#msg1246399 date=1664889487]
How about InkAid....anyone have any experience with that.  They have been around from before coated papers came about.  If that works as well as OEM papers (or close,) it opens up whole set of options for papers from the artistic paper world.

:Niranjan.
[/quote]

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2022, 06:11:31 pm »

Not even remotely close. It obliterates the surface texture and quality of the media. I’d rather print on rc papers than use that.

Thanks Dean.  I always wondered - now I won't...:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up