Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Web Site says : "NOT SECURE". Site Provider charged extra  (Read 1957 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

My Web Site says : "NOT SECURE". Site Provider charged extra
« on: September 27, 2022, 05:58:08 pm »

Hi all: Not sure where to post this. I have had the same web site provider for a long time. Today I added some new images to it. When I went to my site the pages said "NOT SECURE". I do not have the ability to sell prints via my site, so I do not accept credit cards. I did an "instant chat" with my provider and was told I do not have SSL, and it would cost me $39.99 per year to get it. I bit, but I don't even know what SSL is. Did I get ripped off? Should I cancel the "SSL" after one year? This charge is in addition to what I pay for my site to be hosted. Sorry for what may be a dumb question. I am 85, and photography is a hobby, but I do sell my work. People visit my site (which I built myself using a "How To" book I bought), then pick out what they want and email me through my web site or call me. I do not take credit card information over my site email.
Thanks in advance
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven NJ
web site if you are curious what I do:
www.modernpictorials.com

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: My Web Site says : "NOT SECURE". Site Provider charged extra
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 12:54:06 am »

Most browsers warn you if a site is not secure, meaning encrypted. That may spook some people, but there is no real issue in just looking around. That does not mean that you need to get SSL (Secure Sockets layer) which provides end to end encryption, it is just a blanket warning.

You can still sell over it if you want to as normally the credit card provider or PayPal will provide a secure site.
So really it is up to you.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 10:44:37 am »

Thank you Bob. I bit and paid the fee, and the "warning" went away. I was afraid the warning would scare friends, family, and potential clients away. It would scare me away.
Dave  >:(

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 03:17:14 pm »

The benefit to a “safe site” is that Google will allow it to be displayed in search results. A few years ago they decided not to list unsecured sites.
~ CB

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 02:34:42 pm »

Thanks for the Heads Up, Chris.
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up