Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1, can it function for burn and dodge as I efffectively do in PS?  (Read 2133 times)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
C1, can it function for burn and dodge as I efffectively do in PS?
« on: September 18, 2022, 04:30:05 pm »

Working with v. 22 and also have 21 Fuji flavor.

Like the RAW developer more than PS, ACR but need to find a substantially simpler way to B&D my 98% of work, landscapes.

Is there a way to replicate what I do in PS:
Open converted file  - command J - then Option layer selecting "Overlay" filled with 50% gray.
Then use brush with Screen and Multiply (white/black) brush to lighten and darken the various areas on the image?

Make sense?  So much simpler than building a mask especially when there are a lot of trees/branches/leaves involved in the foreground area.

Ferp

Re: C1, can it function for burn and dodge as I efffectively do in PS?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 07:26:11 pm »

I also use this technique extensively in PS, and I don't think that C1 can replicate it.  It would need blending modes for its layers in order for it to work. 

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 10:08:14 pm »

I also use this technique extensively in PS, and I don't think that C1 can replicate it.  It would need blending modes for its layers in order for it to work.

I've been trying but can't get close to what I do in PS - odd considering how many other "tools" they have that I have no use for but what you and I are doing should be quite common for landscape photographers to need.

myotis

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 04:47:45 am »

I've been trying but can't get close to what I do in PS - odd considering how many other "tools" they have that I have no use for but what you and I are doing should be quite common for landscape photographers to need.

I think you are coming up against the limitations of a parametric editor compared to a pixel editor, and layer blending may simply not be possible in C1.

Having said that, for years C1 said they would never be able to offer luminosity masks in C1, because it was a parametric editor, but then gave us Luma masking (which works more like blendif, but still gives masking based on luminance).  It seems as computers get more powerful the limitations of parametric based editing becomes less restrictive.

I find various things are just easier or more flexible in Photoshop, and regularly round trip from C1 to PS (using "Edit with" and then "Open with"), which works pretty seamlessly.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 05:04:53 pm »

Either way, the absence of the tool I work with in PS precludes me for upgrading from the free Fuji version.
I'll just use it's RIP. 

Seems the reality is no program can match/beat PS for landscape work.  I also can't stand their "Library" logic. 

I've got Affinity Photo, DXO's latest, C1, Lumiar 3 but only PS gets the job done for me. 

myotis

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 02:21:22 am »

Either way, the absence of the tool I work with in PS precludes me for upgrading from the free Fuji version.
I'll just use it's RIP. 

Seems the reality is no program can match/beat PS for landscape work.  I also can't stand their "Library" logic. 

I've got Affinity Photo, DXO's latest, C1, Lumiar 3 but only PS gets the job done for me.

Most people I know of, use C1 + PS, or C1 + Affinity Photo or of course LR + PS. In spite of the overlap in capability in current parametric editors and pixel editors they seem to be mainly targeted at two different stages in a photographs workflow.

There is a big difference in capability between the free versions and paid for versions, and the full version takes you a fair bit closer to PS than the free version.  In my original reply I hadn't realised you were using the express version, which doesn't come anywhere close to providing the editing tools in the full version.

In the full version, you can create style brushes (or choose from the default set of brushes available) that could probably replicate what you are doing with the PS blend modes. albeit not in exactly the same way.   

Although, I don't particularly find anything difficult about their library (assuming you mean catalogue) logic, which doesn't seem especially different from any other catalogue logic, I mainly use sessions, or just use C1 as a browser.

If you want to get a feel for C1 in Landscape photography Paul Reiffers youtube channel is a good place to have a look.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Paulreiffer

He pushes the C1 tools to their limits, working mainly on other peoples photographs. Although the official C1 Youtube channel is a good place to "learn" how C1 works, Paul's channel is a far better place to find out how to actually "use" C1.

I also did a youtube. search for style brushes, which threw up a good range of choices.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=capture+one+style+brushes

But to fully learn C1 is a bit of a learning curve. I've been using (and studying) C1 for over 15 years now, and I probably learn something I hadn't thought of, every time I watch a Paul Reiffer video.   

It's worth persevering with C1, as while I can't see it replacing PS, it probably offers enough tools to do the bulk of processing in a faster and more efficient way than going into PS. And still offers easy to use round tripping to PS when needed.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 12:01:46 pm by myotis »

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 08:51:30 am »

I have never found C1 to do that wonderful a job with it’s tools/masking compared to LR and PS. I have learned to quickly do a lot of my brush work in LR and then use similar techniques in PS to refine dodging and burning in PS. (I set my 50% layer to Soft Light instead - subtler than Overlay - and paint with black or white, 20% opacity, soft brush.)

I have C1 23 and the latest LR. I feel LR still does a much better, easier job of layer adjustments/burning, dodging, skin softening et al than C1.
Pages: [1]   Go Up