Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monterey 12.6 Security Update May Break Printing Colour Management  (Read 965 times)

Simon J.A. Simpson

Monterey 12.6 Security Update May Break Printing Colour Management
« on: September 14, 2022, 08:53:02 am »

After updating to Mac OSX Monterey 12.6 my Canon PRO-1000 stopped printing correctly with colour management from both Lightroom and Photoshop (the printer does NOT manage colour).  After going through nearly a box of A4 paper I diagnosed that this is particular to the PRO-1000 (my other Canon printer wasn’t affected).  A search of the Canon website revealed that they had secretly updated the printer driver, technical support having told me in person in June that the old printer driver would work fine with Monterey (which it did until the 12.6 update).

Long story short, the old driver was either not accessing the profile/s correctly or was printing with an Absolute Intent.  It was not colour managing.  Updating the driver fixed the problem.

It may be that other printers are similarly affected and you may need to update your printer driver after this update.

drb

Re: Monterey 12.6 Security Update May Break Printing Colour Management
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 12:48:20 am »

I've seen this before with Mac OS and the Canon Pro-1000.  Updating to a new OS version can corrupt the Canon print driver and causes the colors to look wrong.

The fix is to delete the printer, download and install the Canon Pro-1000 print driver again, and add the printer back.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 04:56:03 pm »

Second this - have experienced this myself on multiple occasions with the Pro 1000 and Apple updates. Only fix is reset the print system and download and re-install the print driver. It seems to be Apple trying to control the print pipeline.. it over writes something in the Canon driver when updating.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 04:39:38 am »

The Canon UK support site incorrectly identifies my OS as Catalina and does not list more up to date Mac OSs.

However, electing Big Sur from the list then reveals a more up to date list and has a new driver released on 06 December 2022, imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 series CUPS Printer Driver Ver.24.30.0.0 (Mac).

Once upon a time Canon would send emails with details of new drivers as they released them but sadly no longer.  It is left up to us to check on their website from time to time; or not, if we forget.
Pages: [1]   Go Up