Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nebraska Farm  (Read 2487 times)

Mark Nadler

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 911
Nebraska Farm
« on: September 13, 2022, 04:39:39 pm »

Last year I was in Nebraska looking for Cranes.  One afternoon the weather turned nasty and I took a picture of this farm.

Mark
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Nebraska Farm
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 05:02:59 pm »

A fine shot.
Probably more dramatic than cranes.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5248
Re: Nebraska Farm
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 06:23:06 pm »

Lovely. I also think it would make a great pano-scape, to bring to the fore even more, the fine misty coloured atmosphere.

JR
Logged

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2555
Re: Nebraska Farm
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 07:55:01 pm »

The Audubon Society has a crane preserve just East of Kearney on the Platte. There are hides they use for counting and observation during the migration. Sandhill and and few Whooping Cranes. Contact them and they might allow you access.
They also have a "crane cam" set up for those across the internet.

https://explore.org/livecams/national-audubon-society/crane-camera
Logged

Mark Nadler

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 911
Re: Nebraska Farm
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 11:52:06 pm »

Eric, thank you for your kind words.

John R, thanks for your suggestion.

degrub, I appreciate the information.  I came across a lot of cranes and I took a zillion pictures.  Not one was a keeper.  Very frustrating.  We plan on returning.  It was cool just to see so many cranes in one location.

mark
Logged

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2555
Re: Nebraska Farm
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 09:18:54 am »

If you want more detail in the flocks, try a 500mm lens.
Logged

Mark Nadler

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 911
Re: Nebraska Farm
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 10:10:13 am »

degrub, I was shooting a 500 mm lens plus I have a 1.4 teleconverter.  All of my images looked like snapshots.  It probably sounds ridulous but I think I was overwhelmed by seeing clouds of cranes. 

mark
Logged

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2555
Re: Nebraska Farm
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 10:40:48 am »

yeah, it is impressive when they are swirling around you. Capturing that on camera is really hard.
Logged

PeterAit

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4647
    • Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Nebraska Farm
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 10:41:16 am »

Last year I was in Nebraska looking for Cranes.  One afternoon the weather turned nasty and I took a picture of this farm.

Mark

Spooky light! Very nice.
Logged

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
Re: Nebraska Farm
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 11:51:04 am »

Just like a painting… An exquisite sky with dramatic clouds are perfect for this rural vista.
Logged
Francois

David Eckels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3529
  • It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Nebraska Farm
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2022, 06:37:04 pm »

Just like a painting… An exquisite sky with dramatic clouds are perfect for this rural vista.
Yup, pure art.

Bob_B

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3747
  • It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: Nebraska Farm
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2022, 08:25:10 am »

That's beautiful!
Logged
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18208
  • When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Nebraska Farm
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2022, 08:29:50 am »

Try converting to sRGB space for posting here. Currently, the thumbnail has a completely different tonality.

Mark Nadler

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 911
Re: Nebraska Farm
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2022, 04:12:37 pm »

PeterAlt, "spooky light" is why I took this picture. 

francois, thank you for your wonderful words.

David Eckels, thank you for proving to my wife that once in a while I capture an artistic image. 

Bob_B, I appreciate your kind words.

Slobodan,  I think I am following your instructions.  I am downloading my images off of Flickr using their large format option.  I will be super conscious next time I post a picture.

mark
Logged

MattBurt

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4132
  • Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Nebraska Farm
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2022, 12:52:47 am »

Nice shot! I've also been challenged with cranes when they gather here in Colorado. Nice backdrops but I also feel like I have never really nailed a crane shot. One day...
Logged
-MattB

Mark Nadler

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 911
Re: Nebraska Farm
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2022, 12:23:43 pm »

Hey, MattBurt, yeah, when I returned home I went through my pictures and not one was a wall hanger.  I had the same problem when hunting quail.  I would flush a zillion birds and not hit one.  Weird.

mark
Logged

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2555
Re: Nebraska Farm
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2022, 08:35:20 am »

yeah, i had the same problem with teal - shooting at the flock instead of a single bird. there is more empty space than one would think but the birdshot never lies  ;D
Logged

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4602
    • Pieter Kers
Re: Nebraska Farm
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2022, 12:12:13 pm »

you caught the atmosphere very well! the birds in the distance are important in it i find ( cranes?)
but i see the photo is made by Karm Redland... how come?
Logged

Slobodan Blagojevic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18208
  • When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Nebraska Farm
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2022, 02:15:07 pm »

... but i see the photo is made by Karm Redland... how come?

Anagram?

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4602
    • Pieter Kers
Re: Nebraska Farm
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2022, 04:15:57 am »

Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up