Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to locate or create a diagnostic display ICC profile?  (Read 965 times)

Beau

How to locate or create a diagnostic display ICC profile?
« on: September 10, 2022, 08:08:04 pm »

I would like to test display color management works on darktable editing software using a diagnostic ICC profile. It runs on multiple OSs and I believe the application internally manages color. I think the problem running it on Mac is that macOS globally manages color via quartz/ColorSync.

I don't need anything fancy just a way to confirm that by selecting a profile has a very clear (not subtle) effect. I tried using ColorSync but it can only edit the names not the values as far as I know? I have a colormunki but expect ill get some error if I try to fiddle with a calibration, and it would be best to know the effect to look for in advance. I am sure this can be done with some commercial/expensive software but looking to a hobbyist level solution.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/help

TonyW

Re: How to locate or create a diagnostic display ICC profile?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 11:42:50 am »

Not sure that I understand correctly what you want (PC user mainly) but have you tried loading an image in Darktable and just clicking through the profiles you have available for the app?   It is very obvious that changes are being made.  Some may be subtle some like the attachment - (Click on the thumbnail and wait a couple of seconds for changes) not subtle  :o.   
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 11:46:28 am by TonyW »

aaron125

Re: How to locate or create a diagnostic display ICC profile?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 07:53:12 am »

I think I might have (part of) a solution for you - would a profile which swaps RGB for GBR work for your purposes? It’s extremely obvious when it’s active as the colours are completely screwed up since each channel is displaying the colours from another channel, so R=G, G=B, B=R. Therefore, your red channel displays green, green displays blue and blue does red.

There’s one slight problem, which is that I can’t remember if I have a copy of it on one of my drives as I’m in the middle of upgrading cpu and mobo so it’s out of action currently - writing this from iPad. Google will hopefully be of some assistance, though I’m not exactly sure what terms you’d need to search for to get the required result.

I can tell you it definitely exists as I’ve used it myself and it works as expected and is super obvious, you literally can’t miss it when it’s enabled.

Hope that helps, if you manage to find it leave an update here or I’ll have a look through my drives once I’ve put my pc back together.
Pages: [1]   Go Up