Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't save user defined size  (Read 460 times)

tonyespofoito

Can't save user defined size
« on: September 06, 2022, 07:50:03 pm »

Hello all. I appreciate greatly any help any of you may provide. I'm running Windows 10 and Epson P5000. I'm unable to save a user defined size for roll paper. I'm also unable to save a printer preset. If I create either one, after I click OK and move back to the print dialog box, the print size reverts to 8.5x11. If I go back to print settings, the saved size has disappeared. Similarly, if I create a printer preset and then leave the dialog box, when I return to it the preset has disappeared. Epson was no help. I've tried running Photoshop as an administrator without success. I've tried accessing the printing preferences dialog box from the Control Panel, no success. I've tried shell:PrintersFolder, run as admin, no success. I've tried 3 different version of Photoshop, starting with 23.5 and going back to CS5. I found these solutions on the net. I've also looked at Win10 permissions & ownership without turning up anything unusual or wrong. I've also tried logging on as Administrator and also as a different user. I know that what I am trying to do is possible because with a previous printer, the 4880, I had user defined print sizes and a custom default printer preset. The Epson software appears unchanged from that used by the 4880 (of course it is a different version) but I recall that I set up those custom settings without having to jump through any hoops - it was all straight-forward, just click the boxes and it worked. The only difference is I was running Win7 not Win10. I've spent the day chasing down leads on the internet with zero success. If any of you can help I'd be very appreciative. Regards, Tony

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Can't save user defined size
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 03:34:38 am »

I've just tested creating a custom paper size on an Epson 3800 on W10 without problem, but I do always run as an administrator.

I'd guess that this is a permissions issue for you.
The new page size data appears to be saved in a file called C:\ProgramData\EPSON\EPSON Stylus Pro 3800\E_FCL0DAE.UCF (it's not user specific, so won't be in a users directory).
I'd guess the file name and sub-directory will be different for you with a different printer, when you can get it saved. Go through the permissions settings from an admin account for that folder tree and make it all writable by any account.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 04:15:53 am by Rhossydd »

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 07:15:41 am »

Sorry for asking a trivial question;

When you enter the User Defined window dialog box and change the width and length to the new setting, are you changing the name from "User Defined" to a description of your own?
You can hit the OK button with User Defined still in the name box.  Once you change it to your own description the Save button becomes active.  Press Save and the new name will appear in the list.  then press OK.

It's a bit different from the old driver for the 4000 and 4880 as I recall, you only had OK so far as I remember.

tonyespofoito

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 11:43:22 am »

Hello Rhossydd, Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am thinking you might have the key. I will look for a file with a similar name and check the permissions, etc. I've already carefully gone through all the Epson files I could find and check for appropriate permissions & ownership without finding anything unusual, but I don't recall a file with a .ucf extension nor did I look in the folder you mentioned. I will do so today. Regards, Tony

tonyespofoito

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 11:46:47 am »

Hello Mike, Thank you for replying. I did change the name in the appropriate box, then clicked save and OK in the dialog box that opened after the save click. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Regards, Tony

tonyespofoito

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 11:53:08 am »

I would like to add what might be one more clue for those of you who have taken the time to read my 1st post. When I click on "print settings", a message window opens which asks if I want to change print settings and that present settings will be deleted. Whether I click OK or cancel, the print dialog box opens and some of the settings will be saved and some will be changed. What's saved or changed is random, but in all cases the named preset and/or custom print size is gone. Once again, thank you for your help. Regards, Tony

Rhossydd

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 12:11:51 pm »

What's saved or changed is random,
Sure ? It may be that default options get saved as preferences, unless they involve an option (user preset/custom paper size etc) that can't be saved to disk.

tonyespofoito

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 12:44:49 pm »

Hi Rhossydd, I was only able to find 1 .ucf file and I changed its permissions to allow everyone complete control. I will try to save a setting later today. Tony

Rhossydd

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2022, 01:07:47 pm »

I was only able to find 1 .ucf file and I changed its permissions to allow everyone complete control.
You might need to allow write permissions for the folder that file is in too.

tonyespofoito

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2022, 01:15:34 pm »

Hi Rhossydd, I think you might have hit on the solution. After I changed permissions for the .UCF file, I was able to save a printer preset. Additionally, I was able to save a user defined size and I was able to print it. The printer behaved exactly as it was supposed to. Thank you so much. You have saved me a great deal of time and trouble and I am very appreciative. I would also like to thank Mike Broomfield and all other who read my post and even thought of replying. I'm very thankful to you all. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Rhossydd

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 01:17:35 pm »

Glad to be able to help :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up