Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recovery software needed  (Read 848 times)

kevs

Recovery software needed
« on: September 03, 2022, 09:41:35 pm »

I'm on Canon 1dsR, and lost first images ever after a short paid shoot.

The card was fine during the shoot, all images showed up fine, but then I dragged the folder to desktop it said 0 images. ANd I put card back into camera and said it could not access.   Never happened before in shooting digital almost 20 years.

I am rusty with recovery so in past used major card makers, LExars, and Sandisc recovery, which had always been free, and easy to use (used them only used the 2-3 times)

I did try "Ease Us Data"... It seemed chaotic and then wanted $90.

Then tried, "Dick Drill".. seem a little less chaotic, but also wanted  $90.00

I did fast reshoot, but for now talking my time in relaxed, manner: what are the best legit recovery sofrwares for a Apple/ Mac?  Is there any free ones?  I ask because it's used to infrequently, I don't know I'd need it more once,  every few years; and not sure how shady / or legit those two places are.

Does LExar/ Sandisc still have them?  I'm going to buy some new cards, so maybe they (or another top brand),  will still include a good recovery for free?

Thanks.

BTW, I just got this camera, and had been shooting with only CF.  So never thought of  shooting with 2 cards, Not a bad idea for this exact scenario right? Does that take up a lot more resources, ie battery or anything else?

Final PS. "maybe" it was me, I may have pulled the card out without shutting off the camera, not sure — but definitely no writing to the card. Or think was just because it was old card? It was an old card.

How long would you keep a card , how many years, with moderate use? ie being used once every few weeks at most, thanks
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Recovery software needed
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 10:51:57 pm »

SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB 170MB/S come with Rescue Pro. I have used it with success.
Have you tried the First Aid with the Disk Utility on the Mac?

Simple prevention is to always shoot to two cards and never delete images on a card except maybe the last image.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

kevs

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 11:11:49 pm »

Thanks Bob, first aid ran, still empty.

I don't think I need 128GB I don't shoot video, maybe 32GB.. do you know if it'll come with that? or minimum?
What about Lexar, those are still two biggies right? Any other big players in cards with free rescue?

Yes, never shot with two cards before as had Mark2 last ten years, but just got the 2dsr to now I can do it. Is that the main reason people shoot with two cards? Any downsides to shooting with two cards?

If you had new card and use is moderately would you discard it anyways after x time?

Redcrown

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 11:32:23 pm »

Going to have to read between the lines and make a guess here. You took the "working" card out of the camera and put it in a card reader attached to your computer. It that correct? If so, it may be that the card reader damaged the card. And it that's the case, it is most likely that the connector pins are damaged.

Unlike SD cards, CF cards have very small and very fragile pin connections. Sometimes a male pin can break off inside the female receptor on the CF card. Sometimes simple contamination can get inside the female receptors. Try to inspect the female receptors in your CF card. Magnifying glass and bright light required. Inspect the male pins on the card reader and inside the camera. See anything strange?

I once had a male pin in a Canon break off inside the CF card as it was removed. Cost $150 to repair the camera. The CF card was toast.

kevs

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 11:45:26 pm »

Red. fascinating, did not even think of the reader as culprit, so check all that and report back. I will say for now though..... I did use same reader, (did short reshoot), and the next card was ok.

Any tips on questions, just asked  Bob;

I don't think I need 128GB I don't shoot video, maybe 32GB.. do you know if it'll come with that? or minimum?
What about Lexar, those are still two biggies right? Any other big players in cards with free rescue?

Yes, never shot with two cards before as had Mark2 last ten years, but just got the 2dsr to now I can do it. Is that the main reason people shoot with two cards? Any downsides to shooting with two cards?

If you had new card and use is moderately would you discard it anyways after x time?

degrub

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 09:06:05 am »

Did you format the card in camera just before the shoot ?

kevs

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 12:38:41 pm »

Yes formatted ok in camera.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 06:44:01 pm »

> I don't think I need 128GB I don't shoot video, maybe 32GB.. do you know if it'll come with that? or minimum?
Don't know, probably. I haven't bought 32G cards in a long while.

>Yes, never shot with two cards before as had Mark2 last ten years, but just got the 2dsr to now I can do it. Is that the main reason people shoot with two cards? Any downsides to shooting with two cards?
Yes and No, other than you need bigger cards. If two cards are cheaper than one large one then two cards is always a better option. Currently 2 x 128 is cheaper than a 256.

>If you had new card and use is moderately would you discard it anyways after x time?
I still have every card I have ever bought and I think they all still work.

kevs

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 08:33:39 pm »

Bob " other than you need bigger cards"  You mean to say you need just get more cards.... is  double amount, ok, no downside to speed etc / battery.

Wow you vote for keeping cards had... 15 20 years?  used moderately. Still this scary incident was on one of those very old cards, and no warning before shoot, went fine and then after the shoot had issues, but who know.

(I did check pins Redcrown on card and reader look ok thankfully)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 11:04:09 pm »

I just remembered that I did have a Sandisk card fail once. They replaced it for me.
It wasn't old so I don't think that age is much of a factor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up