Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hummingbirds using 3D eye detection with the Nikon Z9  (Read 626 times)

bobfriedman

Hummingbirds using 3D eye detection with the Nikon Z9
« on: August 31, 2022, 03:29:03 pm »

Z9 3D Eye detection is nothing short of amazing. The image below is cropped but given the pixel density of the Z9 it is only cropped down to D5 full frame resolution. So as a test, I sat across from my Hummingbird feeder with my Z9 and tripod mounted 500/4G VR covered with a camo sheet. The battery is also amazing, live view just doesn't quit and after 2 hours of constant live view the battery was only down by 1 bar!... I would lock on when the birds were close or on the feeder and the camera would track them until they left the field of view. Shooting at 20 fps was great and using auto-iso at 5000 iso max to get the highest shutter speed possible was impressive.. I did have to do noise reduction on post. Interesting to watch the focus area shrink right down to the hummingbird's eye on occasion.

Nikon Z 9 ,Nikkor AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VR
1/4000s f/6.3 at 500.0mm iso5000

1/5000s f/6.3 at 500.0mm iso3200

1/4000s f/6.3 at 500.0mm iso5000

1/5000s f/6.3 at 500.0mm iso4500

this one is highly cropped

1/3200s f/6.3 at 500.0mm iso5000
Bob Friedman
pbase.com/bobfriedman

Arlen

Re: Hummingbirds using 3D eye detection with the Nikon Z9
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 06:46:25 pm »

Very impressive, Bob. Looks like you have just the right equipment, and more importantly the patience, for this kind of thing.

francois

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 03:56:10 am »

Awesome… I never thought we'd get that good in AF, those birds are tiny and quick.

Bravo.
Francois

Mark Nadler

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 01:23:29 pm »

Love the feather detail.  Just a suggestion: If you do this experiment again try extending your depth of field just enough to get the entire bird in sharp focus.  It is the detail in the birds' feathers that is the knock-out punch in these images. 

mark

bobfriedman

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 01:50:47 pm »

Love the feather detail.  Just a suggestion: If you do this experiment again try extending your depth of field just enough to get the entire bird in sharp focus.  It is the detail in the birds' feathers that is the knock-out punch in these images. 

mark

would love to but I am trying to gain speed here... my ideal would be f/8 but shutter speed counts here... increased depth of field runs risk of a blurred image.
Bob Friedman
pbase.com/bobfriedman

Mark Nadler

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 03:32:26 pm »

Bob, you are the artist.  I understand your point.  I do not have the opportunity to take pictures of hummingbirds -- I see them where I live but they are almost always in a blurred state.  At least for me, I have been shooting a lot around f8 or higher with a fast shutter speed.  My favorite image now is to get the subject completely in focus with a creamy blurred colorful impressionistic background.  I wonder if a flash would allow you to shoot at f8 or higher at a fast shutter speed without requiring a super high ISO.  Just a thought. 

mark

bobfriedman

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2022, 05:25:57 pm »

Bob, you are the artist.  I understand your point.  I do not have the opportunity to take pictures of hummingbirds -- I see them where I live but they are almost always in a blurred state.  At least for me, I have been shooting a lot around f8 or higher with a fast shutter speed.  My favorite image now is to get the subject completely in focus with a creamy blurred colorful impressionistic background.  I wonder if a flash would allow you to shoot at f8 or higher at a fast shutter speed without requiring a super high ISO.  Just a thought. 

mark

so I did think about what you said and tried f/7.1

1/5000s f/7.1 at 500.0mm iso4000
Bob Friedman
pbase.com/bobfriedman

Mark Nadler

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2022, 09:29:28 pm »

I like it.  But the question is do you like it better?  This is all a matter of taste. 

mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up