Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rainforest Magic  (Read 486 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Rainforest Magic
« on: August 23, 2022, 12:04:34 pm »

On a trip to Vancouver Island a couple years ago, my interest was held by the complexity of the rain forest; unsurprising for sure. But I was disappointed because my images seemed overly chaotic and I realized that I had not properly isolated in post that part of the image that drew my eye in the first place. So I have been going back through a few of these to see if I can bring out that attraction more effectively.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Re: Rainforest Magic
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 12:23:06 pm »

I think why you have been struggling with these types of 'complex' forest type shots David, is because of the abundance of green.

It always looks great to the eye and then through the viewfinder, but on the computer not so much and so more often than not loses its impact. Now I do not know if this is because green (and especially brightly saturated green) is such a difficult colour to digitise correctly and process etc, perhaps because of the tonal range and lack of separation, but whatever it is, I think we all tend to struggle with shots that are abundantly green. And it don't get much greener than a rain forest does it?

So what I have done, is to duplicate the original layer and then work on the new upper layer as a black and white, so I can add as much contrast as I like and whatever else I think the shot needs. Then set the layer mode of the upper black and white layer to luminosity mode, then duplicate that layer again and set it to colour, but take the opacity slider right down to a level that seems to work.

You could even try applying a black and white layer over the top of your original unworked layer and just scroll through the blend modes to see what happens, then drop a copy of the original layer over the top of it and then turn it back to colour mode and again tweak the opacity.

Or alternatively, just go for a mono version.

Either way, I like the shot as is  :)

Dave
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 12:26:22 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 12:48:09 pm »

Thanks, Dave, I do some of the things you mentioned, but learned a new trick in your third paragraph: using the first luminosity layer to add contrast, the second with a color blend mode to adjust the intensity. In this image I use NIK Color Effex 4, but I will have to try your method as well. It would have helped if there had been fog  ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 08:28:51 pm »

I like it.

Mark Nadler

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 08:40:49 pm »

I think it is a beautiful image and it captures your intent.

mark

francois

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 04:44:09 am »

In this kind of complex and busy environment, it's always hard to get an outstanding shot. With this one, I would say that you got it. Isolating that tree with the large branches was key and I also like the processing.
Francois

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 12:08:45 pm »

I like it.
That's enough for me! ;)
I think it is a beautiful image and it captures your intent.
Thanks, Mark
In this kind of complex and busy environment, it's always hard to get an outstanding shot. With this one, I would say that you got it. Isolating that tree with the large branches was key and I also like the processing.
Thanks, Francois. I am still looking at it critically to see if I can enhance the composition.
Thanks all!

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2022, 12:20:03 pm »

These busy scenes are tough! I think this is good especially considering what you are dealing with. I find the desert much easier to photograph! :)
-MattB

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2022, 03:47:08 pm »

Thanks, Matt, ditto.

Leszek Piotrowski

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 10:10:28 pm »

David--

humbly,... suspect that the light on the evergreens was what made you stop. and well your image tells the rest.

Lovely
Leszek, G

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2022, 01:19:44 am »

You are right, Leszek, they seemed to glow.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 03:14:47 am »

I like it, it feels like we are there.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2022, 07:08:01 pm »

Paulo, high praise, thank you 🙏🏻

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2022, 06:30:16 am »

That's enough for me! ;)...

To elaborate:

You have several visual elements that make this picture good - a shaft of light coming from the upper left corner, creating an entry point for visual exploration... you have two, three branches that are falling down, in the opposite direction of the many verticals, creating a visual tension... they happen to be covered in yellowish moss, in harmony with the color of the shaft of light... you have different shades of green, going from light to shadow, creating the perception of depth, 3D.

As someone who was shooting in Florida Everglades, with its own chaos and abundance (some would say mess) of details, I can sympathize with your "predicament." But you resolved it admirably.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2022, 10:28:07 am »

Hey thanks, Slobodan, your analysis is quite helpful and I appreciate the perspective. Yes, the Everglades would provide a "chaos of abundance" as you say.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2022, 12:03:07 am »

Well done, Dave! Rainforests and jungles can be chaotic and I think you've found some order within.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2022, 09:16:45 am »

Thanks, Larry, finding that order without zooming into details is an interesting challenge. One which I will have to work on to meet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up