Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Concerns about selling used Medium Format equipment  (Read 1740 times)

anzurobert

Concerns about selling used Medium Format equipment
« on: August 22, 2022, 08:12:04 am »

I haven't visited this forum for many years, and I'm glad to see it's still active. A simple question: I'm going to sell all of my MF equipment and wondering if anyone has any suggestions for where to sell it. Thank you for your assistance!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Concerns about selling used Medium Format equipment
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 08:24:32 am »

A local flea market?*

* since you didn't specify the age and type of MF ;)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 09:05:48 pm »

When I sold my Hasselblad H6D-100c system I sold on it on the main auction site when I am located, which is Yahoo auction Japan.

This very forum is also a reasonable option.

I have personally bought quite a few MF equipment from ebay and LL. I have probably been lucky but no major issue so far.

Cheers,
Bernard

anwarp

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 03:23:00 am »

There is a market place here on this forum.  Another site with an active marketplace, frequented by MF fans is getdpi. 

Good luck!

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 08:18:07 pm »

Ebay is the best place to buy and sell anything. Protection for both parties and a global market. If you only sell in your own country then you will probably get a low price.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

TechTalk

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 01:17:08 pm »

I haven't visited this forum for many years, and I'm glad to see it's still active. A simple question: I'm going to sell all of my MF equipment and wondering if anyone has any suggestions for where to sell it. Thank you for your assistance!

Without further information as to what it is you wish to sell and some indication of where you're located, it's impossible to provide anything but broad general information based on the scant and vague information you've provided.

• The quick and easy way to sell all of your equipment is to a wholesale buyer like KEH, MPB, or Roberts Camera's Used Photo Pro. You'll get less money for your gear, but it's convenient and fast.

• Use a dealer you trust and like to sell it on consignment for you. It's convenient as well, but slower. Typically, you would get more money via consignment than wholesale purchase, but with no guarantee of sale. On the other hand, a good dealer will be an experienced seller with knowledge of how to best package, price, and market the items for sale.

• Sell it yourself. If you go this route, I suggest that you avoid bundling too many items together for sale. It's generally easier to find several people interested in buying individual or small groups of items than to find one person interested in purchasing a large group of items — and will tend to maximize your return. You'll likely get more money selling equipment yourself, but will require more time, effort, and risk on your part as well.

Best of luck to you.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

jduncan

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 01:44:00 pm »

Normally I use KEH for all my buying and selling of used photo EQ but not sure for MF.

Best regards,
english is not my first language, an I k

JoeKitchen

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 04:35:47 pm »

If you have a Schneider Super Digitar 43mm f/5.6, PM me.   ;)

Arca Swiss R is ideal, but at this point I am open to any mount and getting it remounted myself. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

felix5616

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2022, 04:40:49 pm »

With regard to selling on EBAY, be aware that ebay now wants your social security number so they can provide sale info to the IRS, and if you successfully sell on EBAY you will not be paid until they have your social security number. The IRS will want their cut. Best using a dealer or any of the better photo sites(here, getdpi, etc)
Ebay is best for buyers now

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 05:58:08 am »

Ebay has lost its attractiveness for sellers long ago. I cannot believe it was easier and a more pleasant experience dealing on Ebay 20 years ago than it is right now. That company has really evolved in the wrong direction. Zero improvement in the last 20 years, on the contrary.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 07:23:52 pm »

With regard to selling on EBAY, be aware that ebay now wants your social security number so they can provide sale info to the IRS, and if you successfully sell on EBAY you will not be paid until they have your social security number. The IRS will want their cut. Best using a dealer or any of the better photo sites(here, getdpi, etc)

Obviously Social Security Numbers is a US thing but no doubt Ebay and most reputable dealers in every country requires to verify a persons identity. That stops to some extent goods being stolen.
If you don't have anything to hide then that is a good thing.
Having bought and sold a lot of photographic equipment on Ebay I have twice taken advantage of the Money Back guarantee.
I seldom buy off sites that don't verify identity.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Endeavour

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2022, 08:56:24 am »

Obviously Social Security Numbers is a US thing but no doubt Ebay and most reputable dealers in every country requires to verify a persons identity. That stops to some extent goods being stolen.
If you don't have anything to hide then that is a good thing.
Having bought and sold a lot of photographic equipment on Ebay I have twice taken advantage of the Money Back guarantee.
I seldom buy off sites that don't verify identity.

Ebay now have to add sales tax onto all sales here in Canada (or at least in Ontario) so that immediately puts me off buying anything from there

Ebay also offers very few protections for the seller, it says it does but when tested they almost always fall on the side of the buyer. Thats fine if you're selling something for $30 but not $30,000 of high end equipment.
I am not saying other websites offer more/better protection - just dont overestimate how much seller protection you get on Ebay

AndrewMcD

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2022, 05:42:34 pm »

This is an IRS decision that applies to all marketplaces, it also applies to PayPal, so, if you happen to bypass a big marketplace like ebay, but still use Paypal for payments, especially if you don't use Friends and Family, you're going to be filing a new tax form. If you still have your receipts, and you sold the item for less than you paid, you're fine. I have no idea how that applies to anything you've owned for 30 years. :P

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2022, 05:44:57 pm »

I just sold my 645D and some lenses on eBay and it went pretty smoothly.
I had to jump through some hoops recently to get payments updated there but I'm a regular eBayer so it was worth it for me.
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up