Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ColorMunki vs i1Studio functionality  (Read 1724 times)

KeithR

ColorMunki vs i1Studio functionality
« on: August 19, 2022, 04:12:42 pm »

I recently asked a question on another forum concerning the ColorMunki vs the i1Studio (the colormunki replacement). I was told that..."It’s the same hardware with locked out functionality." Could someone explain what functionality is locked out of the i1Studio compared with the ColorMunki? Specifically, why is the i1Studio not able to be used to linearize the curves used bt the Piezography inksets?
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

TechTalk

Re: ColorMunki vs i1Studio functionality
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 08:20:48 pm »

This link may be helpful if you're looking to use the i1Studio for the measurements you need...

"Using ARGYLLCMS to measure grayscale step wedge targets with ColorMunki, i1 Studio, or  i1 Pro photo spectrometers to use with QuadToneRIP and QuadToneProfiler"

https://www.bwmastery.com/blog/2021/using-argyll-cms-to-measure-grayscale-step-wedge-targets
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 02:02:40 am »

I was told that..."It’s the same hardware with locked out functionality."
I can't speak for the included software functionality, but the hardware appears to be identical, the only difference being the USB Vendor ID which changed from Gretag to X-Rite.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 04:28:39 am »

i1Studio is the software used to interface with the (older) ColorMunki and the new Calibrite ‘Colorchecker Studio’ spectrophotometer.  I have a ColorMunki and use it successfully with the ‘new’ Calibrite software.

The ColorMunki package could never ‘linearise’ profiles (although I’m nor sure what exactly you mean by that) and neither can the new i1Studio. Some features of the old ColotMunki software were deprecated after upgrades (such as the ability to measure individual colours) although Calibrite told me they are considering bringing some of these back in the future.

However, what the software can do is to add data points to profiles iteratively from an image of your choice thus improving a profile’s nominal accuracy.

As a tool for creating monitor, printer, and projector profiles I have found the ColorMunki to be a reliable and flexible tool.

I hope this helps.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 08:32:47 am »

I recently asked a question on another forum concerning the ColorMunki vs the i1Studio (the colormunki replacement). I was told that..."It’s the same hardware with locked out functionality." Could someone explain what functionality is locked out of the i1Studio compared with the ColorMunki? Specifically, why is the i1Studio not able to be used to linearize the curves used bt the Piezography inksets?

One thing that i1Studio does not have is "PhotoColorPicker" that allows one to do spot readings or scan measurements that can read multiple patches on a step wedge, for example.  The latter is particularly useful when trying to linearize curves in QTR as you seem to want to do.  ColorMunki is compatible with i1Studio software but I don't know if the reverse is true.

:Niranjan.

TechTalk

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 02:47:34 pm »

i1Studio is the software used to interface with the (older) ColorMunki and the new Calibrite ‘Colorchecker Studio’ spectrophotometer.

X-Rite has worked very hard at creating product packages and product nomenclature, over time, to keep users as confused as possible. i1Studio is the name of both a spectrophotometer and the software with which it was bundled.

The X-Rite ColorMunki Photo and Pantone ColorMunki Design spectrophotometer models, ColorMunki Photo software, and ColorMunki Design software were replaced by X-Rite and Pantone i1Studio spectrophotometers and i1Studio software. Those were replaced by the Calibrite ColorChecker Studio spectrophotometer and ccStudio software. The X-Rite ColorMunki Photo/Pantone ColorMunki Design/X-Rite i1Studio/Pantone i1 Studio Designer Edition/Calibrite ColorChecker Studio are all the same spectrophotometer hardware device packaged with various software and sold as different brands or with different names.

Which spectrophotometer device or devices: X-Rite ColorMunki Photo software, Pantone ColorMunki Design software, X-Rite i1Studio software, and Calibrite ccStudio software applications will function with varies depending on the software application. Each software application bundled in the various hardware packages has its own set of features and device support.

• X-Rite ColorMunki Photo and Photo ColorPicker software : supports only the ColorMunki Photo spectrophotometer

• Pantone ColorMunki Design software: supports only the ColorMunki Design spectrophotometer

• X-Rite i1Studio software: supports ColorMunki Photo, ColorMunki Design, and i1Studio (including Pantone Designer Edition) spectrophotometers

Pantone Color Manager software: free license included with i1 Studio Designer Edition spectrophotometer

• Calibrite ccStudio software: supports ColorMunki Photo, ColorMunki Design, i1Studio (including Pantone Designer Edition), and Calibrite ColorChecker Studio spectrophotometers

TechTalk

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 03:37:18 pm »

...The ColorMunki package could never ‘linearise’ profiles (although I’m nor sure what exactly you mean by that) and neither can the new i1Studio...

The discontinued ColorMunki spectrophotometers used with ColorMunki software can measure and export L*a*b* values from target patches used by other software in linearizing Piezography printer output.

...Some features of the old ColotMunki software were deprecated after upgrades (such as the ability to measure individual colours)...

That's the underlying cause of the issue raised by the original poster.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 02:43:59 pm »

The discontinued ColorMunki spectrophotometers used with ColorMunki software can measure and export L*a*b* values from target patches used by other software in linearizing Piezography printer output.

To be clear, the ColorMunki spectrophotometers have not actually been discontinued; Calibrite have just given them a new name.

That's the underlying cause of the issue raised by the original poster.

Yes, and what I was trying to be helpful in clarifying; as you have done also.

TechTalk

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 06:36:12 pm »

To be clear, the ColorMunki spectrophotometers have not actually been discontinued; Calibrite have just given them a new name.

The ColorMunki spectrophotometer models were discontinued in October 2017. Their subsequent replacements are identical except for branding, product name, color, bundled software, USB ID  (Vendor ID and Product ID), and software support. It is the latter two — USB ID and software support — that are of concern with regard to the functionality and features available with the discontinued ColorMunki models, their replacement models, and various software applications.

When you launch the X-Rite/Calibrite software, it will look for a connected device with a USB Vendor ID and Product ID supported by that software. If the software does not find a USB Vendor/Product ID which is supported, it will not communicate with a device.

A ColorMunki Photo model has the USB Vendor ID (VID): 0x0971 (GretagMacbeth AG) and Product ID (PID): 0x2007. It is the USB VID/PID which will determine to which of the five different X-Rite/Pantone/Calibrite spectrophotometer models the X-Rite or Calibrite software, which I listed above, will connect. As they have introduced new software, the new software is backward-compatible with older hardware models.

The intent appears to be to have users migrate their discontinued hardware models to replacement software. What they appear not to have done is to add support for newer hardware models to their discontinued software versions which are no longer updated. When new software is introduced, it is made backward-compatible with discontinued hardware models — but, it appears that new hardware is not backward-compatible with discontinued software. I say "appears" because I haven't tested all of the combinations of hardware and software, but am relying on the scant documentation which has been provided.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 09:21:45 pm by TechTalk »

TechTalk

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2022, 06:37:29 pm »

Yes, and what I was trying to be helpful in clarifying; as you have done also.

You are helpful and it's appreciated. I want to support your efforts by adding additional information which may also provide additional clarity.

Best wishes to you.

TechTalk

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2022, 02:01:58 pm »

You haven't responded to any replies, but I assume you now understand it isn't the i1Studio device lacking any functionality you require. It is individual software applications which are limited as to the devices they recognize and support.

The easy and convenient solution (for their customers) would be for Piezography to offer a single user-friendly software solution, supporting a broad range of instruments, to linearize and profile printers with their ink. They don't, so you will need to choose from the available hardware and software options which work best for you.

If you're using an i1Studio spectrophotometer, I posted a link to a solution using ArgyllCMS (whose creator has also responded in this thread). ArgyllCMS software has generous support for a very broad range of hardware devices.

Best wishes for you and your printing projects. Let us know how it all works out for you.

KeithR

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2022, 12:27:40 pm »

I am very sorry to have not responded sooner. I am having "issues" with a recent hip problem which, at times, makes it difficult to get to my desktop computer since it's downstairs. I do wish to thank all that have responded and have enlightened me as to the issue I asked about. I see now that it's not the car, but rather the fuel that's the problem ;). I have not looked into the Argyll CMS since I am not experienced with line-item commands (I hope I said that correctly) but I will look into it. I have noticed, however, that most who have used Argyll CMS are those that are Mac centric. I am a windows user. Will that have any bearing on using Argyll CMS?
Again, thank you all who have responded.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 12:40:51 pm by KeithR »
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

degrub

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2022, 01:29:57 pm »

TechTalk

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2022, 06:20:10 pm »

I am very sorry to have not responded sooner. I am having "issues" with a recent hip problem which, at times, makes it difficult to get to my desktop computer since it's downstairs. I do wish to thank all that have responded and have enlightened me as to the issue I asked about. I see now that it's not the car, but rather the fuel that's the problem ;). I have not looked into the Argyll CMS since I am not experienced with line-item commands (I hope I said that correctly) but I will look into it. I have noticed, however, that most who have used Argyll CMS are those that are Mac centric. I am a windows user. Will that have any bearing on using Argyll CMS?
Again, thank you all who have responded.

No apologies needed. I know we all wish you well in recovering.

Once again... Best wishes for you and your printing projects. I hope you will let us know how it all works out for you.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2022, 04:39:30 am »

+1
Pages: [1]   Go Up