Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Current Opinions on C1 v22  (Read 3161 times)

TomRobbins

Current Opinions on C1 v22
« on: August 14, 2022, 05:12:24 pm »

I'm a long time user of C1 and, after seeing other user's reactions to version 22 after its release, I have been holding pat with version 21. I now wonder if anyone who upgraded to version 22 would care to share their thoughts. What has improved and what hasn't. And most importantly, do you feel it worth the cost to upgrade? 

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Current Opinions on C1 v22
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 07:27:53 am »

I can’t think of any reason not to upgrade. I only use sessions. Can’t speak to the catalog.

However in a few more months version 23 should be out. Might consider getting on their beta list.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

UnfamiliarLight

• Unfamiliar Light
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 04:04:00 pm »

There were performance improvements made to the catalogue particularly around searching. I'm not convinced it is as fast as it should be but it is a lot more usable now.

They made some UI changes that might mess with your layout a bit but once I switched to showing icons only in the tool box on the left I was actually happier with the new icons.

TomRobbins

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 04:58:09 pm »

Thank you Paul and Unfamiliar. I'm now tempted to upgrade but the prospects of version 23 becoming available in a few months has me stepping on the clutch again. I suppose I'll wait and see how things shake out for the time being. Then again, getting into beta could be interesting. It's certainly food for thought.

RaffiCoffee

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 04:02:15 pm »

I should have stopped upgrading before v12, but I did and I have not been able to get the images to display correctly and complete the image load so I can see the image as taken. So it remains in some blurry state. I got in touch with tech with lots of info and they replied with something I had already mentioned in the request, and I replied and then not heard from them. So I bit the bullet in hopes that this upgrade would fix the problem. Nope!. Same issue. Mind you, I have 10 other Raw converters, and numerous other image editors. Something about my HW or setup it just does not like and it wont render the photo to see in the viewer.

Just to get support is a pain in the butt. Also I noticed their trend of constant updates with added features to keep up with some idea they are chasing. It reminds me of ACDSee that cripples some feature that conflicts with OS or other parameters and forces an update. It just reminds me of this.

Plenty updates that I like, but the reason I have used C1 ALONG other converters for about 15 years was the speed. And that has taken a hit over time. 

So I decided I should stop using C1, and have not in 2 years now. I miss somethings, and I am very displeased with the speed of LRclassic on a 4K monitor, but since I lowered the resolution to below 4k, it has made a dramatic enough difference that I am much more pleased with the speed.

I have spent thousands on it even after initially having licenses with my digital backs. They cut those updates to pay format as well, by a free update to Pro version that can do multiple cameras, and now that is a pay update. Unfortunately all this with no render image after update left me with a very bad taste.  So I say...well. you never knwo what the future brings or takes away...lol
I have multiple licenses for DB, for Pro and even Sony. The Sony version actually works, but not bothering to swap converters based on camera model. It may even be a conflict of that version with the pro and some license parameter?

But that is my experience with upgrading  C1 software. multiple upgrades paid and I still cannot use the software.  So with this issue, and C1 support experience, and their upgrade push, and price structure for it, I am pretty displeased.

stevebri

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 05:24:31 am »

There was a glitch with the initial v.22 release that was patched.

C1 seems fine and stable on Win10.

My issue is not with the program but whoever is in charge of development and the direction they are taking. 
For example, today I receive yet another email from them pushing me to use and pay for Calture One Live.

It’s expensive and in most post Covid cases not needed.

Do your shoot, edit down, create a web page, send the client the link, the do post on the selects, ( or something similar).

Why try and make me pay for something I don’t need..?

And there is the rub, create ‘things’ to create extra revenue streams….

Those of us long time users just want stable software that utilises our hardware..

But they can’t make more money that way can they..?

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 06:54:47 pm »

I haven't updated since v12 and started looking at v22 but my upgrade price is $299, it doesn't make sense to upgrade since v23 should be released soon.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 11:23:34 am by tcphoto1 »

AndrewMcD

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2022, 04:33:57 pm »

I haven't updated since v12 and started looking at v22 but my upgrade price is $299, it doesn't make sense to upgrade since v23 should be released soon.

C1 has a promo going on until 10/31 for all owners of the previous versions of C1. Upgrade to 2023 discounted to $159 USD. Since I have 2021, but skipped 2022, this seems like a decent deal to me. I remember what v12 was like, so, may or not meet your needs.

https://www.captureone.com/en/campaign/pre-upgrade-23

TomRobbins

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2022, 06:20:12 pm »

Thanks Andrew, I went for this promo when it was announced. Seemed reasonable enough to me.

Ferp

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2022, 06:36:38 pm »

I have bought all the recent upgrades, including to V22, and in the case of the last two have regretted it, as they weren't worth it.  Seems I'm a slow learner. 

This current campaign by C1 is actually going to have a perverse effect, as it means that I definitely won't upgrade now for a while,  Sometime in a few years hence they will have another such campaign for upgrades to V27 or 28, and I may reconsider then. 

cortlander

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2022, 02:32:56 pm »

https://www.captureone.com/en/campaign/pre-upgrade-23

The faster culling with groups is a great option for those who are volume shooters. You can check that out at the above link.
cortlander

alain

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2022, 08:33:45 am »

The faster culling with groups is a great option for those who are volume shooters. You can check that out at the above link.

I doubt that it will come even close to the speed of FastRawViewer.  Not even thinking about lower battery use on a laptop.
If it it's faster and uses less laptop energy it could be a nice feature, but I doubt it.

I always select in FastRawViewer and then go to c1.

cortlander

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2022, 06:55:14 pm »

I doubt that it will come even close to the speed of FastRawViewer.

Based on what evidence? Were you a beta tester?
cortlander
Pages: [1]   Go Up