Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Curious Case of Missing Photo Magazines at Airports  (Read 1133 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website

Years, probably also decades ago, I would subscribe to photo magazines, looking forward each month to read a new one, collect them in stacks, and even take them with me when moving from country to country. And then came the Internet.

I haven’t travelled extensively in the last two years, mostly due to Covid,  but some travel I did (my daughter is in Miami). So, in the last two and a half years I was at several airports: Rome, Istanbul, Zurich, Frankfurt, Miami, Dallas, Los Cabos, and Heathrow. Often bored by long transatlantic flights, I would look for some photographic magazines before departure or at connecting airports. And could find NONE. There would be tons of various hobby magazines, knitting, crochet, woodwork, yachting, blah, blah, blah… but not a single photographic magazine!?

Up until the last trip back home that got me to Heathrow. There were three!!! Two were specifically Nikon and Canon, and only one general: Digital Camera, August edition. It was a short flight back home from London to Belgrade, so I just briefly browsed the pages. Once home and the jet lag passed, I went through the magazine page by page. And surprise! What did I find on page 80? A whole page devoted to our own David Hickey, aka Dave (Isle of Skye)  and his Shot of the Month! Congrats!!!

Arlen

Yes, congratulations to Dave! I'm glad he continues to share his images with us here from time to time.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography

Hey that's great - congratulations to Dave!
I've also been disappointed by photo mags in recent years. I also like to grab one for a flight but they keep getting smaller and harder to find!
-MattB

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com

My congrats to Dave as well!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

James Clark

Congrats to Dave, and hello to Slobodan!

As an aside, I download a few photography mags to my ipad for travel these days, including two really nicely produced online-only pieces - Elements (our own Steven Friedman is an editor) and Medium Format.  They're dense (in a good way) - and subscriber supported so there's minimal, if any, ad filler. Super high quality work, and very insightful interviews.  In fact, the only complaint I would have is that Elements tends to feature the same names a bit too often, but for a new pub they get the benefit of the doubt for sure.  Highly recommended.

Cheers!

marvpelkey

James,

Took a quick look at the two links which you provided, and was a bit surprised that they do not have an old publication for potential subscribers to review the quality of the content. At least not that I could figure out.

Marv

James Clark

James,

Took a quick look at the two links which you provided, and was a bit surprised that they do not have an old publication for potential subscribers to review the quality of the content. At least not that I could figure out.

Marv

You may be right about that.  I was an early supporter of both so I never had that question, but yeah, that would make a lot of sense to do at this point.   Maybe DM Friedman here and suggest it?

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com

Thanks everyone and yes I did miss this thread and all your very nice comments, about one of my recent images featured in the Digital Camera Magazine and my Photographer's Guide Book, because as I have mentioned elsewhere on this site, I completely avoid going into the coffee corner these days, simply because of this high pitched screeching tone of the politics, that always seem to draw out the worst in me.

So here is a larger view of the original pano shot for you all to look at in more detail if you wish, but which the magazine editor chose to crop slightly down the left edge for some reason.

Thanks again everyone  ;D

Dave
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 06:14:42 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

James Clark

Re: Harry Potter and the Curious Case of Missing Photo Magazines at Airports
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 11:46:42 am »

Thanks everyone and yes I did miss this thread and all your very nice comments, about one of my recent images featured in the Digital Camera Magazine and my Photographer's Guide Book, because as I have mentioned elsewhere on this site, I completely avoid going into the coffee corner these days, simply because of this high pitched screeching tone of the politics, that always seem to draw out the worst in me.

So here is a larger view of the original pano shot for you all to look at in more detail if you wish, but which the magazine editor chose to crop slightly down the left edge for some reason.

Thanks again everyone  ;D

Dave

I like your frame better - something about capturing the whole copse just looks "right"

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2022, 04:01:01 pm »

I like your frame better - something about capturing the whole copse just looks "right"

I totally agree James, even though it is such a minor crop they did to it, yet to my mind, it still makes all the difference.

Correct framing after all is absolutely everything and is one of the main things we are constantly striving to achieve, after subject selection, compositiion and lighting etc. So I suppose they must have needed to squeeze it into the frame of their magazine layout or something. But at least they chose to show some of my work and write a little bit about me and my guide book, so musn't grumble as the old saying goes  ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 12:38:34 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2022, 07:38:59 pm »

Thanks for showing us the proper crop.
You got it right.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 12:39:26 pm »

Thanks for showing us the proper crop.
You got it right.

No problem Eric  ;)

..and thank you so much for taking the time to say that  ;D

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up