Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did simple migration Adobe annihilates all workspaces, filters  (Read 1260 times)

kevs

JUst did simple migration imac to mac mini and ADobe seems so destry my workspaces,  3rd party filters, keyboard shortcut, tool tips, prefrences, and probaly few other things don't come to mind yet.  Can some one plese without the longwinded rabbit hole links (already got Adobe links, thanks), got the confusing ADobe  links, in few sentences says where and  if hope of getting these back in under 90 min of draning tedious work.

Any one know why in 2022 Adobe still does this? Does not seem to happen with other apps. thanks.

Flabbergasted.
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Did simple migration Adobe annihilates all workspaces, filters
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 07:22:51 pm »

What is 'simple migration'?
The first place to make sure everything is in sync (old and new) is Application Support>Adobe.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

kevs

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 08:54:30 pm »

Migration.  New Apple feature for when you buy a new computer. Seems to work great with most apps.

Application Support, is a folder, and if I go into that folder I"m looking for something to say I"m in sync or not?  Maybe you have some good screenshots as I'm a bit lost/ confused sorry. 

In the meantime, PS is missing all my workspaces, Keyboards Shortcuts, and more.. But I'm sure in time we could find and restore them somehow.  ?

Excel and Word, everything is right there fine:  Styles, preferences, puzzled why it's black hole for photoshop after Apple Migration.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 09:00:42 pm »

It's not new and it's actually called “Migration Assistant”.
And again, most of what you're looking for is in the Library > Application Support > Adobe.

kevs

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2022, 11:20:37 pm »

Thanks Andrew will look in that folder and report back -- . Just saying would be nice after migration assistant if everything was working as is..

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 11:55:07 am »

Thanks Andrew will look in that folder and report back -- . Just saying would be nice after migration assistant if everything was working as is..
I've never run into such an issue but to be clear, it's been about 3 years since I moved to a new Mac (and not Apple Silicon) using Migration Assistant. It's possible its migration from Intel to M1 differs from past experiences.
Anyway, go back to the old computer and search for the Adobe folder (and more); Application Support in general holds a lot of files software needs after migration.
And in the near future, I do plan to upgrade to Apple Silicon so I'll see what happens then.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2022, 01:35:43 pm »

A few months ago I used Apple's Migration Assistant to replicate my MacOS environment from a 2013 Mac Pro on a new Mac Studio computer.  I didn't experience any problem with with the installation or configuration of the Adobe applications.  Only thing I needed to do in order to launch them was to log into my Adobe Creative Cloud account on the Mac Studio.  (Adobe uses a license-management scheme that imposes a limit of two simultaneous activations of its software per customer account.)

Note: to perform a MacOS migration the user must be logged into the same Apple ("iCloud") account on both the source and target computers.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 05:18:40 pm by Chris Kern »

kevs

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2022, 04:17:19 pm »

Andrew I erased and sold the old computer few days ago.  I do have  few states of Time Machine I think, but even that not much from old computer. So I go into theri and look in there. Bridge btw no problem, would not be nice if Adobe handled this for us well?  Have get artiles now where hunt for everything..

kevs

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2022, 04:26:28 pm »

Chris did  not understand much of that sorry. The migration went well;  the old computer was next to the new, yes, apple id same, even password.

There was not a peep from Adobe, wish was, something, check here to make sure ADobe PS etc all stuff carried over fine.  Nothing came up like that. So now hunting manually for it all.

Really am I only one to wonder them spend zillion of hours creating tons of great new features (98% don't use), but this migration thing they don't have down at all...

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 05:16:51 pm »

Really am I only one to wonder them spend zillion of hours creating tons of great new features (98% don't use), but this migration thing they don't have down at all...
Well two of haven't had such issues in the past.
If you don't have the old computer or it's backups, you're SOL.

Manoli

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 02:44:36 am »

Kevs, you sure doing a ton of complaining. Before was Imagenomic, now Adobe! Sounds as though you need to improve your understanding of the software.

Andrew will correct me if I’m wrong, but Adobe has been effecting many changes (Modus Operandi) of their suite of apps. Settings , workspaces etc are now centrally stored - the idea being that if you travel and log on to a third party computer , you can download yr ‘workspace’ and carry on as before, less your extra 3rd party plugins. Hence Chris’ post below.

You can create/delete workspaces but, AFAIK, they’re not stored on your computer.  Plugins are purchased/installed and deleted via Creative Cloud / Adobe Exchange - in the new UXP format. Older ones are under Extensions(Legacy), not centrally stored.

The transition is a work-in-progress, not that it should affect you negatively - IF, you had proper backups in place. Also some folder contents now remain hidden fm view - designed not to interfere with the syncing of settings.

e.g. try to access Lr’s User Presets in the Develop module from Finder - you won’t be able to, at least not under MaxOS Monterey. The only way is from Lightroom. Right click on the preset and ‘Show in Finder’ and you’re there !

For Lr backup, use this:
https://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/mdawson/tpglrbackup/

Anyway, always believed a clean install was the way to go on a ‘new’ computer. Good luck!

… Only thing I needed to do in order to launch them was to log into my Adobe Creative Cloud account on the Mac Studio.  (Adobe uses a license-management scheme that imposes a limit of two simultaneous activations of its software per customer account.)

Note: to perform a MacOS migration the user must be logged into the same Apple ("iCloud") account on both the source and target computers.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 03:18:07 am by Manoli »

kevs

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2022, 04:09:52 pm »

Sorry Manoli, yes clean install good/ optimal, bug love ease to love migration...

I never use a 3rd party computers, if travel bring my laptop.

So with Adobe  PS  we'll constantly fishing in backups and manually dragging to folders.. All non intuitive lot work. Don't use LR too much mostly PS and BRidge.

For all I know that we will never get an Adobe migration assistant ala as Apple does for Photoshop.

I'd love it to all be there as was, between PS versions as well.   Maybe Andrew can speak to that if be possible one day.

Everything great now with Imagemonic great company --sorted it all out thanks..  But that's good example, can't even remember the 4-5 plug in I had in there, some don't use to often but love: Alien Skin.. so have to get into that backup folder and figure out where to put i.. again, just love it ---to not have to bother between Mac OS or Adobe Versions all searching, finding, manually putting back.  Dont' think Word/ Excel have to ever do all that right? Everything just carries over seamlessly?

Another subject but I have that great suite in there Nik, Google bought it, wonder if still available was a great one.. Thanks Manoli, all my apologies on that..

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2022, 05:56:22 pm »

Another subject but I have that great suite in there Nik, Google bought it, wonder if still available was a great one.. Thanks Manoli, all my apologies on that..

DXO bought it many years ago from Google  https://nikcollection.dxo.com/

Manoli

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2022, 08:32:06 pm »

Thanks Manoli, all my apologies on that..

Mo need to apologize, Kevs. Just wishing you well and less anguish!

kevs

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2022, 10:10:18 pm »

Frank, thanks have not used Nik in years, but remember it being great. I still see in it my app folder!  Think it could work with a current 2022 PS on Mac Mini M1?  (if possible how get it where put it in PS to have show up in filter list?)   Or have buy new license?

Do you know alien skin?  Nik still has stuff unique of overkill, I have Alien Skin.

Also I had ONe 1 or was  ONe on something like that, but don't remember that being as cool as Alien Skin or Nik

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2022, 12:03:22 am »

Hi, I can't comment about Mac, and as far as I know there isn't yet a native version for M1.

I use windows 10 and still can use the free version of Nik from Google with the latest PS version.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2022, 12:08:56 pm »

Frank, thanks have not used Nik in years, but remember it being great. I still see in it my app folder!  Think it could work with a current 2022 PS on Mac Mini M1?
Try it (but don't hold your breath).

kevs

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2022, 01:51:11 pm »

Thanks Andrew  -- give shot... where would I drop the Nik stuff, into what folder? not sure where filters/ plugs in should go. I do see for some reason Imagenomic is working without me doing anything so it survived the migration for some reason -- though not sure where it's emanating from.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2022, 02:10:33 pm »

Thanks Andrew  -- give shot... where would I drop the Nik stuff, into what folder?
YOU said it was in Applications so it's an application no?
Is it a plug in or an application? If a plug-in, it goes into the folder specified already for plug-ins.

kevs

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2022, 08:12:36 pm »

Andrew as standalone application still works! I think you need to duplicate file first or add new layer to be safe.. The one I used was Color Efex. Some other  in that folder promising  read lot about them Viveza etc, but never tried them.

I do remember it as a  plug in, but dropped the folder into plug in folder did not show up in PS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up