Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P900 vs Canon Pro-1000.. yes, another one  (Read 3917 times)

BrandonSi

• Homepage
Epson P900 vs Canon Pro-1000.. yes, another one
« on: August 13, 2022, 02:29:54 pm »

I think I've read everything I can find and watched all the YouTube videos from Keith and Jose.. I'm still stuck on this decision and looking for some first-hand experience to hopefully push me in one way or the other. (I did also post this at FM, but have found the printing discussion here to be of a higher quality..)

I'm an enthusiast printer. I'd like to get into a print exchange sometime soon, and I don't mind the cost (to a point) of printing at home vs a lab. I've been using (and am still using) an Epson R2880. Yes, 12 years old at this point and still going. I may contact the folks at Guinness and inquire about a world record.

That being said, I do not print frequently, and am horribly guilty of letting the printer sit idle (powered on) for 4-5 weeks at a time. I then spend a frustrating day or two getting the nozzles cleared and ready to go every time that happens. Now, before the "you can't let these printers sit idle!" attack, I am committing to changing this behavior with the new investment. I will print a nozzle check or two at least once a week, and hopefully some 5x7's or more. WiFi / wireless will help this quite a bit, as for now I have a very long USB cable I plug into my computer, and then unplug each time I want to print on the R2880.

So, why a new printer at this point?

• The R2880 is getting long in the tooth, and I'm a little worried about when (not if) it will die, as well as cartridge availability getting sparse.
  • It has developed an annoying habit of attacking my larger prints with random droplets of ink. I think it purposely waits for the expensive paper to do this, I can print a slew of 5x7 with no droplets, then I'll see them on 13x19.
  • WiFi printing. I literally have a 15 foot USB cord I drag out and put away every time I print.
  • ICC profile support. I imagine at some point, paper manufacturers are just going to stop providing support for a 12+ year old printer
  • 17" - I'd like to be able to print images at 16x24 at home. (As you probably know, RR has 17x25 paper).

Things that are / are not important to me

• Ink Cost - Annual print volume is as follows (usually with ~ 1-2" borders or so).. 13x19 (qty 10), 11x17 (qty 30), 8x10 (qty 30), 5x7 (qty 75). If I had 17" capability (Which I want) I'd probably be printing 10-15 17x22(or x25) annually (in addition to the previously stated items). I am OK spending around $1,000 annually in ink. Much beyond that doesn't make much sense for my scenario.

• Repairability - I've never had serious problem with my R2880, but I've heard of people who had issues with Epson printers and Epson wouldn't help them out, or the cost exceeded a new unit cost. I think the P900 is better in this regard but I don't want a $1,200 paperweight.. the more serviceable the better.

• Size / Bulk - This will be visible in my office right when you walk in. I know the Canon is bulky but I haven't quite been able to suss out just how much it will stick out in my office. The Epson seems to be more compact / sleek in design. It will be going to a new location, don't use the below image as an indication of where it would live.

• Driver / Software Ease of Use - I typically print with Lightroom Classic. I'd like to have a bit more flexibility in layout, adding text, etc.. I'm not opposed to Photoshop (i'm very comfortable in PS, just don't use it often to print) but included software to make print management easier would be great.

• Roll Paper - I've never used a roll adapter, I don't really any good way of cutting cleanly, not too worried about max print length exceeding 25-30". I would send out the order beyond that size.

I’ve read some referring to the P900 as a toy compared to the Pro-1000, but wasn’t sure what was meant by that.. Just in comparative size and weight, or if there was an important diffference in build quality or printing capabilities..?

Anyway, would love any thoughts or feedback! Thanks for looking!

Image #1 - Proof of life from the R2880
Image #2 - Example of my nemesis, the random, heavy ink droplets.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 02:42:26 pm by BrandonSi »

RaffiCoffee

Re: Epson P900 vs Canon Pro-1000.. yes, another one
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 02:58:24 pm »

The one spot you will have issue with in this size of a printer is reparability. 

I don't know if HP makes a printer in this size, but I have found them to be more repair friendly, and they have printheads that are replaceable, and a somewhat wear item. Canon also has a replaceable print head, though it is just one for all colors, and costs in the $400+ range.
From my experience, which is NOT current, Epson does not have replaceable print heads.

I have the Pro-1000, a $1300 printer that I ruined in just under a year of owning it, just by moving it from one location in the house to another. So much for reparability! It made stunning prints.
I would buy it, but I can't understand how Canon couldn't simply place a label or warning on the printer about moving it.

As far as HP, I have moved it numerous times and this problem is not even a thing, as the design is very different. Canon design has ZERO thought into anyone moving it. So if you ever move your location, you will have to spend about $500 just in inks, as you will need to purge all the ink in the system. If you happen to keep the printer absolutely level without shakes and such, then the ink will not spill on the board.

This to me is a major Canon flaw in communicating the info with the buyer, more than a design flaw, if you know it before purchase.

With such preinters aesthetics is not something I would put in the equation, unless you cant fit it someplace. If the paper handles are closed, its 29" wide by 18 inches front to back, and a little under 12" tall. With the paper feed and handles open, its about 37" to 40" front to back.

I am sure Wifi may work fine, but its not something I would run my printer on. You may want to enable print job to spool to printer before it starts printing. This way your job may be less likely to get interruptions. I would route the USB cable, get an extension and make it perm, Not sure if a crossover cable will work, but you can look up or try connecting that way, Better yet, just connect your printer to the router or a small switch. Many routers have about 4 ports.

After using Epsons years back with just a frustration I could not shake off, I avoid Epsons. I know, this my limitation. But, with Canon HP and such top brands making such high quality prints these days, I think Epson falls low on my nozzle issues, and cost to run it, and even paper handling is something I just had issues with.  I know this is not all models, but they were pro models, and at the time the others did not have this issue. They had other issues.

I would also recommend you get Qimage, as you can schedule auto ink prints for making sure the printers are not drying up. I had setup a small humidifier, and this surely helps.  For someone who enthusiastically prints, it is a rather demanding long term commitment to have the computer run, on a schedule to print, and then also monitor air, and such. The HP I think is the most forgiving in neglecting the printer for long periods of no use. Canon Pro 1000 is not too bad either. I cant speak for current Epson models.

BrandonSi

• Homepage
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 07:20:57 pm »

Thanks Raffi! I appreciate that info about not moving the printer. I don't think I would with the Canon, it would need to be in the basement being that size anyways, but very good to know. I can probably get a 50-100 foot ethernet cable and run it through the ceiling / floor joists and hardwire it.. Should probably set up a small switch there anyway, since that's where my tethered shooting machine is, and I could get that off of WiFi as well for faster image transfers to the editing PC upstairs.

Out of curiosity, which HP do you have and what sizes are you printing?

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 05:15:16 am »

I have owned a number of Epson Printers. I retired my P800 last year by replacing it with the P900. The image quality improvement and the no ink waste on black - matte black switch was welcomed.

I have never had any issues with my various Epson printers. Sometimes the printer will be shut off for months. When I turn it on to print, I have never had any issues with clogged jets or other ink feeding issues.

My experiences with Epson printers over many years and models have been so good that I don't even bother to look at Canon or other brands.

I use Colorbyte Image Print Black RIP to drive the printer. Their excellent proprietary ICC profiles produce excellent results making the software worth the cost in terms of time savings and wasted time and materials.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography.
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

Manoli

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 06:25:50 am »

I have never had any issues with my various Epson printers. Sometimes the printer will be shut off for months. When I turn it on to print, I have never had any issues with clogged jets or other ink feeding issues.

What are the humidity levels on your area ?
In my experience, high humidity levels are a prime cause of clogging.
But otherwise agree with your favourable Epson ‘take’.

Remko

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 08:24:26 am »

Hi Brandon,

I would suggest reading the experiences of users on the Epson User Group. You can find them here: https://groups.io/g/EpsonWideFormat
You have to register, it is for free though.

This group has very knowledgeable and experienced users. The experience with the P900 is mixed, due to what seems a lack of quality control and engineering errors. The only thing that is not disputed is the print quality.

As an example, one user reported recently having his 2th replacement printer from Epson and the 3rd one is on its way. He bought his first P900 in October 2020.
His recommendation is to make sure you buy the extended warranty. And his general conclusion is that if the printer is working it is a great printer. He would still recommend one.

I will not give you my thoughts on this printer as I do not own one. Which means my opinion is based on what I read about it. And that does not add real value to the discussion IMO.

Good luck with your decision!

cheers,
Remko

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 10:14:55 am »

What are the humidity levels on your area ?
In my experience, high humidity levels are a prime cause of clogging.
But otherwise agree with your favourable Epson ‘take’.

I think it's low humidity that causes clog problems.

We have had a P900 for almost a year now. It replaced my beloved 7900 which, after 10 years of trouble-free use, finally developed an intractible clog. If anything, the P900 prints are better. It sits for weeks unused and never a clog. Wifi works perfectly, as it well should with only 20 feet and 1 wall between the printer and router. You can buy a wifi extender to solve weak signal issues.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2022, 10:36:12 am »

I live in a fairly dry environment with fairly low humidity year-round. The thing that seems to clog my heads is the lint from canvas and some dust/smoke in the environment. Otherwise my Epsons printers don't have any real issues.

My second-hand Epson 9900 is still going strong nearly a dozen years after its purchase and in its previous life, it lived a few years in a high desert environment. Two years ago I spent the $$$$$ to replace the head as it was much easier, faster, better than trying to replace it. The family 3880, also of similar vintage, is still going strong even after a move of 450 miles to its new home. It's been cleaned-and-reset 2-3 times and when it dies, it's time to replace. This week, it needed the paper grabber cleaned with WD-40 and it's back to feeding paper more than a sheet at a time. Of the two, it seems to require fewer nozzle checks and cleanings, but has had to be serviced professionally a few times.

The 3880 replaced a 2200 that had several years of printing and was scheduled to be replaced with a more robust machine with larger ink carts and this printer has been stellar in reliability and print quality.

Last year I bought a P900 for my studio since the 3880 got moved. It has printed well in the year I've had it and has even fewer nozzle issues, even when I've left it for weeks at a time during my travels. I've printed several hundred prints with it but had an issue with the rear feed and with Exhibition Fiber getting scratched. The front feed also had an issue so Epson replaced it with little hassle. Though the replacement was "refurbed" it looks like new and works perfectly now. It even came with a full set of replacement ink, not a starter set.

Prints are looking great and Epson's service could not be beat! They've come a long way since those 740 and 1200 printers that got the ball rolling so many years ago!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

RaffiCoffee

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 11:37:27 am »

Thanks Raffi! I appreciate that info about not moving the printer. I don't think I would with the Canon, it would need to be in the basement being that size anyways, but very good to know. I can probably get a 50-100 foot ethernet cable and run it through the ceiling / floor joists and hardwire it.. Should probably set up a small switch there anyway, since that's where my tethered shooting machine is, and I could get that off of WiFi as well for faster image transfers to the editing PC upstairs.

Out of curiosity, which HP do you have and what sizes are you printing?

After I switched from Epson, I have had HP130, now running HP Z3200 (44"), beside a couple Canon's.  I don't know if Epson has changed their design and now makes the printhead user cleanable or replaceable, but I find this to be a key factor.

The fact of the matter is that all these printers will produce stunning results. Maybe one has a edge over the other in a very small narrow area of some specific use and paper. Even then there can be a workaround. So it is up to us, and how we set things up.

As you may know, its not using the printer that gets it in trouble. And its low humidity that dries up ink. I have found 17-19% to be great, but its more of a correlation finding, as I have not isolated variables, but have used the printers in both environments, and humid seams to work better. This may also be a reasoning of basic logic for such a conclusion...humid air, less or slower drying.
Pages: [1]   Go Up