Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3200 error 86:01  (Read 1150 times)

Loek49

HP Z3200 error 86:01
« on: August 12, 2022, 08:46:48 am »

Hello, My hobby is photography and I like to make prints for the photo club. Last year I bought a defective HP Z3200. This now works again after having fitted a new drive belt and new plain bearing. I found the necessary knowledge for this on this great forum. Since then, I've bought up some faulty Z3200 and Z3100, one of which I've gotten working again by designating another printer as a donor. When I have sold a printer, I have some money to spend on print heads and ink. I still have a problem with a Z3100 24". It does the following after turning it on:

-   The display goes to 100%;
-   The car goes a bit to the left;
-   The service station makes a few movements;
-   The car slowly goes completely to the left;
-   The car quickly moves to the home position;
-   The star wheels go up twice;
-   The display shows error 86:01.

The following was checked:
-   The paper track is free;
-   Service station is clean;
-   The axle and slide is cleaned and lubricated;
-   Bearings are good;
-   The car goes up and down smoothly and lightly;
-   The drive belt looks good and the belt tension is good;;
-   The drive roller of the belt has been cleaned;
-   The tow cables looks good and sits well in the connectors;
-   The connection of the encoder sensor is ok;
-   Tow cable and ink tubes move freely;
-   The encoder strip has been renewed;
-   The car does not touch the encoder strip; There is no foreign object near the encoder strip sensor;
-   The drive of the star wheels is clean and lubricated;
-   Removed the paper cutter.

I also carried out some tests:
-   Sensor test: OK;
-   PRS test: gives position unknown, but ends with OK;
-   Scan Axis:
-   - car does not come in the middle;
-   - error 42:10 high friction;
-   - axis 692232 TOO SHORT; FAIL;
-   - error 87:11 encoder strip sensor; -
-   - length is 44 inches while it's a 24 inch printer; ?
-   Starwheel: length=3,629 , outside the limits of 3,000-3,600. FAIL.

Considerations:
-   The previous owner got the error 86:01. It turned out that a white gear was broken and he replaced it.
-   The encoder disk and analog disk sensor has been disassembled. These are reassembled without the Media Advance Drive Adjustment Toolkit.
-   How does the printer know that it is a 24 inch and not a 42 inch?

Who can help me? What else could I do?

« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 02:20:20 pm by Loek49 »

degrub

Re: HP Z3200 error 86:01
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 09:39:42 am »

google translate is your friend as this is mostly an English speaking forum
google.translate.com for future reference.

Hi, My hobby is photography and I like to make prints for the photo club. Last year I bought a faulty HP Z3200. It now works again after installing a new drive belt and new plain bearing. I found the necessary knowledge for this on this great forum. Since then I have bought some faulty Z3200 and Z3100 and got one working again by designating another printer as a donor. If I sell a printer, I'll have some money to spend on printheads and ink again. I now have a problem with a Z3100 24”. It does the following after powering up:

- The display goes to 100%;
- The car goes a bit to the left;
- The service station make a few movements;
- The car moves slowly all the way to the left;
- The car quickly moves to the home position;
- The star wheels go up twice;
- The display shows error 86:01.

The following has been checked:
- The paper path is clear;
- Service station is clean;
- The shaft and slide has been cleaned and lubricated;
- Armies are good;
- The car goes up and down smoothly and lightly;
- The drive belt looks good and the belt tension is good;;
- The belt drive roller has been cleaned;
- The tow rope looks good and fits well in the connectors;
- The connection of the encoder sensor is ok;
- Tow rope and ink tubes move freely;
- The encoder strip has been renewed;
- The carriage does not touch the encoder strip; There is no foreign object near the encoder strip sensor;
- The drive of the star wheels is clean and lubricated;
- Removed the paper cutter.

I also ran some tests:
- Sensor test: OK;
- PRS test: gives position unknown, but ends with OK;
- Scan Axis:
- - carriage does not come in the middle;
- - error 42:10 high friction;
- - axis 692232 TOO SHORT; FAIL;
- - error 87:11 encoder strip sensor; -
-- length is 44 inches while jet is a 24 inch printer;
- Starwheel: length=3.629 , outside the limits of 3,000-3,600. ERROR.

Considerations:
- The previous owner got the error 86:11. It turned out that a white gear was broken and he replaced it.
- The encoder disk and analog disk sensor have been disassembled. These were reassembled without the Media Advance Drive Adjustment Toolkit.
- How does the printer know it is a 24 inch and not a 42 inch?

Who can help me further? What else could I do?

Kyle D Jackson

• Lone Leaf Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 11:15:44 am »

Hi, you probably already saw this, but maybe some info here will help:
https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c04581797

Cheers
Kyle D Jackson
Ottawa, Canada
Lone Leaf Photography

Loek49

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 03:59:03 pm »

Thank you Kyle for your reply. Yes, I had already seen that. In the meantime I also replaced the paper sensor but the problem remains: error 86:01 after moving the starwheels up and down.

deanwork

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 04:08:54 pm »

Did you clean the dot detector, the little strip the head goes over before reaching the capping station?

I got an error last week and cleaning that fixed it.

quote author=Loek49 link=topic=141241.msg1244775#msg1244775 date=1660766343]
Thank you Kyle for your reply. Yes, I had already seen that. In the meantime I also replaced the paper sensor but the problem remains: error 86:01 after moving the starwheels up and down.
[/quote]

Loek49

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 01:49:56 pm »

Thans Dean. I cleaned the drop defector: still 86:11. Also I changed the encoder strip sensor bu still 86:11.

deanwork

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 02:32:52 pm »

Well it seems that it has something to do with the carriage area alright.

This is what I would do right now if you haven’t already.

Start the print head replacement procedure and when the head unit comes out open the front cover.
Get a strong bright light and look over at the waste tank - cap station area for any ink buildup or debris, clean all that  area.

Also look on the left side for debris like rubber from a worn belt. Inspect the entire belt for wear and slack. The belt should be fairly tight. You can get these errors from loose belts.

They mention issues with the cutter blade being bent or misaligned . I would remove the cutter blade and try printing with that out.

Look at the steel rod that head runs on for gunk stuck to it.

And finally I would clean the encoder strip ( which runs the length of the belt )  with a lint free cloth - very carefully dampened with distilled water, not with any chemical cleaner. Look for ink everywhere back in there.

Thans Dean. I cleaned the drop defector: still 86:11. Also I changed the encoder strip sensor bu still 86:11.

Loek49

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 04:04:02 pm »

Hi Dean,
Thanks for your reply. I can't start the replacement procedure, because the printer doesn’t complete initialize. He stops after the carriage moves to the left and back and the star wheels come up twice. The display shows then 86:01. See the beginning of this topic. I tried with and without print heads. I cleaned the waste tanks, station, encoder strip, belt, rod. I think everything... Cutter removed. No debris or worn belt. The belt is fairly tight, compared with my other Z3200's. The encoder strip is new and clean.
I ran out of possibilities...

deanwork

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 04:12:48 pm »

Yea, you did everything right. I once had an HP tech damage something in that area when he replaced the belt.
He gave me a whole new carriage assembly complete with spectro and everything.

That Z3100 is like new now.

Is HP still servicing the Z3200 ?

quote author=Loek49 link=topic=141241.msg1244851#msg1244851 date=1660939442]
Hi Dean,
Thanks for your reply. I can't start the replacement procedure, because the printer doesn’t complete initialize. He stops after the carriage moves to the left and back and the star wheels come up twice. The display shows then 86:01. See the beginning of this topic. I tried with and without print heads. I cleaned the waste tanks, station, encoder strip, belt, rod. I think everything... Cutter removed. No debris or worn belt. The belt is fairly tight, compared with my other Z3200's. The encoder strip is new and clean.
[/quote]

RaffiCoffee

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 03:38:46 pm »

Do you think it may have to do with the HDD?
It can be that some sectors are corrupt. It maybe working for the bootloader, but then not passing a certain point in the initialization process.  Also, I know this may not be directly related, but check if your fans are working. I have had a issue with a bad fan. I know the error codes differ, but sometimes one is related to the other in a domino effect.
The HDD are not super pricey.

One more thing, just to check out....I had a issue with is the paper feed sensor under the printer. Its the small sensor that tells the printer that there is paper loaded. Its a flimsy plastic sits in there, and just something to check off on the list.

The printer knows its size from 24 to 44 from the HDD and mainboard.

deanwork

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2022, 05:22:15 pm »

Also you should remove the formatter board, the one that is on the top back right side that pulls out with one screw. Sometimes refitting that cures strange error messages. At that time you should replace that little flat battery. I got mine at the drug store down the street.

quote author=RaffiCoffee link=topic=141241.msg1244880#msg1244880 date=1661024326]
Do you think it may have to do with the HDD?
It can be that some sectors are corrupt. It maybe working for the bootloader, but then not passing a certain point in the initialization process.  Also, I know this may not be directly related, but check if your fans are working. I have had a issue with a bad fan. I know the error codes differ, but sometimes one is related to the other in a domino effect.
The HDD are not super pricey.

One more thing, just to check out....I had a issue with is the paper feed sensor under the printer. Its the small sensor that tells the printer that there is paper loaded. Its a flimsy plastic sits in there, and just something to check off on the list.

The printer knows its size from 24 to 44 from the HDD and mainboard.
[/quote]

RaffiCoffee

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2022, 08:19:02 pm »

Yes, reseating that network/formatter board was an issue at one time for me. If you do that, and still have issue, next I would look at the HDD, besides the other things I posted.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2022, 05:57:48 am »

Hi Dean,

I think I once had a similar issue that was solved by lubricating the sides of the service station with some liquid soap. I got an error related to the head carriage movement but could not find a fault there. In my case it was just after leaving the service station. I thought maybe the service station is not totally free for the carriage to move.
Cleaned some parts and added the soap on the sides where that train of wipers and suction caps runs on. Error disappeared and the printer worked.
In your case it could be on the return that it encounters something there. You could remove the right cover, insert inkt carts again and power it up to see what happens. Also check whether the Rear Carriage Bushing is oiled etc. You might loosen the bolt that locks the carriage on the service station as well as another option.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

deanwork

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2022, 09:56:48 am »

Yes HP sell a lubricant for that carriage rod. I bought some and it works really well. They recommend doing this periodically .  Mark has info on that on his website.

That reminds me, I need to do that now.

quote author=Ernst Dinkla link=topic=141241.msg1244903#msg1244903 date=1661075868]
I think I once had a similar issue that was solved by lubricating the sides of the service station with some liquid soap. I got an error related to the head carriage movement but could not find a fault there. In my case it was just after leaving the service station. I thought maybe the service station is not totally free for the carriage to move.
Cleaned some parts and added the soap on the sides where that train of wipers and suction caps runs on. Error disappeared and the printer worked.
In your case it could be on the return that it encounters something there. You could remove the right cover, insert inkt carts again and power it up to see what happens. Also check whether the Rear Carriage Bushing is oiled etc. You might loosen the bolt that locks the carriage on the service station as well as another option.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.
[/quote]

Loek49

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2022, 04:47:46 pm »

Thank you for your messages. I am not using the HP service. I am a hobbyist and want to limit the costs. I have now bought five defective Z3100 / Z3200. I have appointed one of them as a donor for parts. I got three printers working thanks to the information on this forum. The fourth is a 24 inch Z3100 that I also like to get working for someone with limited space.

The axle and the rear bearing is well lubricated, the carriage I can easily move back and forth. Unfortunately, Ernst's soap trick does not arouse. From the service manual I understand that the formatter for a 24 inch is different than for a 44 inch. I tried to change the formatter but that doesn't work because HP doesn't accept this. I also replaced the paper sensor.
I was now trying to reset the EEROM which resulted in error 79:04 (FW error) and on the next attempt 61:04 (update the FW). How do I update if the printer has not started up? Perhaps Deanwork is right that the problem is in the HDD.
Ernst suggests that the carriage touches something when returning. I can still try to replace the entire carriage.
To be continued...

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2022, 10:05:24 am »

Thank you for your messages. I am not using the HP service. I am a hobbyist and want to limit the costs. I have now bought five defective Z3100 / Z3200. I have appointed one of them as a donor for parts. I got three printers working thanks to the information on this forum. The fourth is a 24 inch Z3100 that I also like to get working for someone with limited space.

The axle and the rear bearing is well lubricated, the carriage I can easily move back and forth. Unfortunately, Ernst's soap trick does not arouse. From the service manual I understand that the formatter for a 24 inch is different than for a 44 inch. I tried to change the formatter but that doesn't work because HP doesn't accept this. I also replaced the paper sensor.
I was now trying to reset the EEROM which resulted in error 79:04 (FW error) and on the next attempt 61:04 (update the FW). How do I update if the printer has not started up? Perhaps Deanwork is right that the problem is in the HDD.
Ernst suggests that the carriage touches something when returning. I can still try to replace the entire carriage.
To be continued...

Is the black felt in the print bed nowhere sticking upwards?

There has been a discussion on this forum about cloning the formatter HD,  The only thing I did with that information is making a clone of my working Z3200 44" A version at the time and I put the clone HD in the machine and it does the job while I keep the original HD archived.  Maybe there is a Z3100 24" HD image floating around meanwhile.

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=98064.0

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Loek49

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2022, 01:00:29 pm »

Hi Ernst and others, I tried another formatter: still 86:01. I see in the service manual that formatter Q5669-67010 is for the Z3100 for 24 and 44 inch. The axis length doesn’t come from de HDD?  I have two formatters Q5669-60576 rev, C. With one the Z3100 24-inch boot and I get error 86:01. The Q5670-60011 is for the Z3100PS. I have two main PCA Q6659-20151 fits the 24 inche (and the 44 inch too?). The service manual says: Q6675-60023 (PCA+PSU) for the 24 inch.
Maybe the machine thinks it's a 44 inch and reply error 86:01. The axis-test reports a length of 44 inch.

RaffiCoffee

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2022, 07:36:44 pm »

The 2 have to be paired right. The HDD and the formatter, and if I am not mistaken there is a board on the right side that has to all match for the printer to recognize correctly.

I have a z3200 Photo that I bought as my printer, and I have a dead Z3200 Post script that was given to me as spme form of "payment", it is a "dead" printer, but I plan to at some point make the swap.

I mentioned the HDD being a potential issue, as I did some looking around and spoke to Bob at LPS who was helpful , and mentioned that the parts are linked to recognize the work with 1 model printer

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2022, 03:56:18 am »

The 2 have to be paired right. The HDD and the formatter, and if I am not mistaken there is a board on the right side that has to all match for the printer to recognize correctly.

I have a z3200 Photo that I bought as my printer, and I have a dead Z3200 Post script that was given to me as spme form of "payment", it is a "dead" printer, but I plan to at some point make the swap.

I mentioned the HDD being a potential issue, as I did some looking around and spoke to Bob at LPS who was helpful , and mentioned that the parts are linked to recognize the work with 1 model printer

There is something related to that written in the Service Manual, 6-71, on replacing the PrintMech PCA Board. You can not replace both formatter and the PM PCA board at the same time. For each replacement you have to finish the Service Calibrations (Electronics Module) first which I guess includes building a reference between both.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Loek49

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2022, 11:12:07 am »

I didn't swap HDD on formatters. I have swapped: formatter incl HDD, psu, main psa, service station, printmech, carriage pca, color sensor, paper sensor, line sensor,  and display. But only one at a time, not two at once.
The black felt is flat.
For the Z3100 PS I have the formatter Q5670
Pages: [1]   Go Up