I've asked this question to a lot of people, but no one has given me a clear answer yet.
Canon's 16bit Export option seems to be a great choice for most users, however, it requires 600ppi images, or it resamples the image itself, using the wrong algorithms.
Why is this extra resolution needed? I can see where it would give better detail if you were resizing a large image without the "resample" checkmark. However, when you have a 16x20" print at 300ppi that is already interpolated up a little, why would you want to resample again to 600ppi? It is not actually increasing any detail level in the image. Furthermore, it slows down your computer, takes up twice the HD space, and adds yet another step to getting a print out quickly. Why is Canon requiring this extra information when standard file resolutions for printing have always been between the 240-360ppi range? Also, I always do sharpening as a last step before printing, should I assume I continue this practice after resampling to 600ppi?