Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best iphone or best Canon for Travel?  (Read 990 times)

kevs

Best iphone or best Canon for Travel?
« on: July 31, 2022, 06:35:03 pm »

I just got the Canon G1X3 refurbished $800.   My Sony RX 100 was fine but kept breaking.

I learning new camera, but photo buddy, said to go with new iphone instead ie  13 .. or..? Any opinions on that? Thanks  (I'm on iphone 7)

I have never entertained idea s all iphone had so bad when blow up prints, but he says these new ones are great...
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

degrub

Re: Best iphone or best Canon for Travel?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 08:58:03 pm »

Here is one perspective --
https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2022/07/one-crazy-camera.html

Goes on for a couple weeks off and on.

kevs

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 09:16:10 pm »

Thanks, article, does not address the question I'm asking at all.   Maybe expand this,, to those who know new iphones and also have other high end travel pocket cameras whether Canon, Sony etc.. thanks.

AndyF

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 03:38:53 pm »

I have the iPhone 13 and very much like the three lenses, 2x wide angle, normal, and 3x zoom.  I can just pick them from the photo app.  I haven't compared the image quality to my Canon 5D3, but the iPhone is much easier to carry!
If your iPhone is still good enough though, it would be a good question - is there a pocket camera for 2/3 the price of an iPhone 13, that is a better camera.  I haven't searched for that.
Andy

kevs

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 04:31:34 pm »

"is there a pocket camera for 2/3 the price of an iPhone 13, "
Andy just got this refurbished only $800, so that 2/3 price on the 13 correct?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/point-and-shoot-digital-cameras/advanced-cameras/powershot-g1-x-mark-iii

You would concur stay with Canon over buying a $1300 iphone?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 07:52:09 am »

With absolutely no doubt, iPhone 13 Pro Max. It is not even a question anymore. For me, of course.

You didn't specify your needs. Are you going to make huge, fine-art prints out of it? Or just social media?

You didn't specify which G1 X. Mark III (2017), Mark II (2014) or the original (2012).

The huge advantage of today's phones is they have computer processing, which cameras do not. To match the result, you'd often have to use a tripod, shoot multiple frames, and spend time in Photoshop combining them. Which phones do within a second.

The immediate quality coming out of phones is mind blowing. Not to mention the immediacy of results, either for showing to others or for yourself.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 09:56:25 am »

Probably worth reading, though no comparison in the article against small bridge or P&S camera though he says "What I consider ‘Professional prints’ are prints that, at the same size, stand up in quality to prints made from the other cameras I currently use or have used in the past, either film or digital, and in formats ranging from 35mm to medium format or large format 4×5."  Later on he describes the limited print sizes he has made.  Alan is all about the print and has decades of experience as a pro- landscape photographer.
https://photopxl.com/professional-quality-prints-from-iphone-13-pro-raw-captures/

kevs

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 02:00:46 pm »

Slobodan thanks, G1 X. Mark III , new.. gong to stay with that I decided. MP 24 vs iphone 12.. feel more robust real camera.
And yes might print with it.
Just cannot find a belt case for it for some reason.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2022, 09:46:49 am »

I would never choose an iPhone over a small, quality camera. I have iPhone 12. I’m happy to plink away with it when I don’t have a camera — a bike ride with my family, walking my dog on my farm. It’s a great pocket camera. That said, I have the original G1x I let my kids use when we take trips. Hands down, I would choose the old G1x images (shot RAW, but even JPEG) over my iPhone 12. I have a post about the images from the iPhone posted under “iPhones” section on this forum.

Your friend is well meaning, but it really is a matter of what you are looking for. Are you looking to advance to better cameras later? Better quality? More control? An iPhone won’t help with that. If you just want something handy, there’s an old story: An old pro photographer is asked, “What is the best camera?” He replies, “The one you have with you.”
Pages: [1]   Go Up