Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting used to veiwfinder of Canon G1x 3?  (Read 472 times)

kevs

Getting used to veiwfinder of Canon G1x 3?
« on: July 28, 2022, 11:24:30 am »

Just got Canon G1x 3.

These little guys are considered mirrorless cameras?

Heard many old timers like me say prefer still DLSRS vx Mirrorless (talking bigger cameras) as viewfinder option still better than EVS.

Am I seeing this with this one?  Look through.. hazy, cloudy ,  and hear focus beep, and indeed shot is in focus on computer, but not what seeing with own eyes....

I had Sony RX 100 for 5 years, don't remember that... that viewfinder was normal and nice... and image good (hated the display controls, and broke a lot).... so trying this as I'm a Canon guy with dlsrs, thanks
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Getting used to veiwfinder of Canon G1x 3?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 11:32:31 am »

Electronic viewfinder* so yes, similar experience to not viewing “the actual scene” aka DSLR.
* http://thenewcamera.com/tag/canon-g1x-mark-iii/
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 12:48:17 pm »

Was the camera new or used?  If used have you checked to see if the EVF screen might be cloudy or dusty?  I have to clean mine periodically (though true for OVF on an SLR as well).  Even a new camera can get cloudy if you breath on the screen by mistake.  Happens to me periodically and I either wait for it to dissipate or wipe it with whatever I have on hand and clean it better when I get home.

The camera might have some settings for brightness of the EVF, so delve into the manual and see if it can be changed.

kevs

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 02:10:57 pm »

Thanks Andrew, good link.   Well I'm ok with this for casual travel.   But  this  view, is Canon Mirroless R released 4 years same?  If so then I wont get that.. thinking about R  for portrait work with models... weird view if I'm used to dlrs.. Or did do a better job on the R?

So Sony RX100 I had for 5 years was optical?

BTW anyone know a case for this that has belt loop?  Can't find.

kevs

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 02:13:08 pm »

Mike thanks oh I did improve things with diopter, that helped lot... funny with all other cameras, never bother with that, but this way off with dipoter. if spelling that right.

Still it's not like OVF.. but better now...

kevs

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 02:56:57 pm »

Thanks Mike hmmmm maybe I was using screen on side.  Your opinion for stills, not video, on those Sonys vs, say the G1 x 3?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 03:43:30 pm »

Sorry I can't help with a comparison.  I had the 1st Canon G1 (I think) and was somewhat underwhelmed with it but that was a very long time ago and the later ones are better.  I have to admit that now I am a Sony sensor fan (mainly for the better dynamic range that I always seem to need for my specific photography).  DPR have reviews on all the cameras so maybe start there if no-one can help with hands on comments.
Pages: [1]   Go Up