Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Central Camera in Chicago Reopens 122-Year-Old Store After 2020 Fire  (Read 773 times)

TechTalk

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/06/16/central-camera-reopens-122-year-old-loop-shop-after-2020-fire-looting-im-so-happy-this-place-is-still-here

Central Camera Reopens 122-Year-Old Loop Shop After 2020 Fire, Looting: ‘I’m So Happy This Place Is Still Here’

The store was destroyed in May 2020 in the unrest after police killed George Floyd. Almost two years later, it's back open thanks to $230,000 in donations from Chicagoans.

Melody Mercado - Jun 16, 2022 - Block Club Chicago

DOWNTOWN — Don Flesch is known for passing out little snacks to his customers.

“Grab a chocolate,” Flesch reminds them on their way out.

Now, the 73-year-old is back in action behind the counter at Central Camera’s store, which reopened at 230 S. Wabash Ave. in March after being looted and burned down during 2020’s civil unrest after police murdered George Floyd in Minneapolis. First opened in 1899 by Flesch’s grandfather, the store attracts shoppers from around the world looking for unique camera finds and in-person service.

The May 2020 fire, which started in the basement, took about 30 firefighters and six hours to put out. Only about 50 items were salvageable out of the shop’s collection of 10,000 items.

It was a total loss, but it was no comparison to the loss of Floyd’s life “and the countless other Black lives lost,” Flesch said at the time.

After the smoke cleared, Flesch and his staff almost immediately started selling what was left on the sidewalk in front of the shop. They eventually moved the shop into a temporary space next door.

Chicagoans rallied around Central Camera’s staff, donating nearly $230,000 to a GoFundMe campaign organized by Flesch’s daughter and an employee. The money helped Flesch rebuild the shop and its inventory.

Flesch remembers a donation for $1,899, commemorating the year the business was founded. As the donations poured in, he was brought to tears, he said.

Flesch said he hopes one day he can personally thank each person who donated.

“‘Wow’ was the most common word I used in the last year … and I still use it. It’s become my mantra,” Flesch said.

More at Link Above

* NO POLITICAL REPLIES IN THIS THREAD - Post those in the appropriate place if you feel the need. This thread is about caring, generosity, neighborhood institutions, and renewal.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

TechTalk

Re: Central Camera in Chicago Reopens 122-Year-Old Store After 2020 Fire
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 01:51:41 am »

Love that old neon!

Source Link: bradhoc, CC BY 2.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0, via Wikimedia Commons

« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 02:30:33 pm by TechTalk »

Smoothjazz

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 11:32:01 am »

Cool!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 06:02:42 am »

Are you from Chicago? Your pic?

TechTalk

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 01:33:38 pm »

Not from Chicago and not my pic. Thank you for reminding me to add a link to the source which I have done.

I just like old neon signs and the sign captured in this image represents a particular era nicely.

I hope that you're well, having some fun, and enjoying life.

BAB

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 02:20:03 pm »

always nice people and great service
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

TechTalk

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 02:40:53 pm »

I wish them nothing but success. There are too few camera stores left. This being a continuously family owned and run business for so long is part of what makes the store an amazing local institution.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 03:29:01 pm »

... I just like old neon signs and the sign captured in this image represents a particular era nicely.

I hope that you're well, having some fun, and enjoying life.

Thank you, I am.

A couple of Chicago neons for you then :)

TechTalk

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 04:45:29 pm »

Nice! I've only traveled thru the airport in Chicago or had a few very brief stays there.

The Midwest may have more old signs on average, I'm not sure. When traveling thru that part of the country; something I've noticed is old faded advertising signs painted on the sides of buildings, often brick buildings, which I like. I'm kinda sentimental, interested in history, and an occasional sucker for nostalgia.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2022, 06:13:22 pm »

... When traveling thru that part of the country; something I've noticed is old faded advertising signs painted on the sides of buildings, often brick buildings, which I like...

Like this?

TechTalk

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2022, 06:54:43 pm »

Yes, thanks! That's one type. I've also seen those side of building ads that were still pretty sharp but clearly faded for old products that don't exist any longer or for businesses long gone.

In addition to "fine art", I really appreciate commercial artists. They produce art within a set of unique constraints and often with remarkable results. If art is to speak to emotions, commercial artists often excel at it! And, they manage to do so while conveying a clear message to sell a product.
Pages: [1]   Go Up