Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Below Broken Top  (Read 243 times)

Arlen

Below Broken Top
« on: July 09, 2022, 04:11:29 pm »

At an elevation of 5400 feet, this section of Fall Creek has a good view of the southeastern side of 9200 feet tall Broken Top Mountain. Broken Top is part of a cluster of volcanoes in the east central area of the Oregon Cascades. It last erupted about 100,000 years ago, and since then glaciers have eroded and broken down the top of the eastern side of its cone. Two small glaciers remain within the crater, though they are fast disappearing. In a couple of spots where the snow had melted at the end of last May when this photo was taken, reddish-purple layers of scoria were visible. Nearby South Sister is the most active volcano in the Cascades, last erupting a mere 2000 years ago, and is considered a possible threat for renewed eruptions. But for now, the entire region is a wilderness wonderland.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 04:15:48 pm by Arlen »

francois

Re: Below Broken Top
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 03:32:28 am »

Beautiful vista… I also like how the snow has melted, only in a few spots. This is the end of winter but the white coat is still mostly there.
Bravo!
Francois

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 06:03:55 am »

Nicely done. Everything just seems to work to produce a glorious, peaceful scene.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Arlen

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 06:05:13 pm »

Francois and Bob, thanks a lot for your feedback.

John R

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 07:13:44 pm »

I guess I should check other threads once in a while. Lovely landscapes, including this one. Alan your knowledge and obvious passion for this place and wilderness in general makes this image even more interesting.

JR

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 01:27:00 pm »

Beautiful vista… I also like how the snow has melted, only in a few spots. This is the end of winter but the white coat is still mostly there.
Bravo!

I agree, lovely view and very well captured as a pano..

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up