Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: leica M monochrom lens selection  (Read 1470 times)

felix5616

leica M monochrom lens selection
« on: July 09, 2022, 12:07:43 pm »

contemplating a Leica M monochrom camera. What wide angle lenses perform best on this camera?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: leica M monochrom lens selection
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 04:02:17 pm »

contemplating a Leica M monochrom camera. What wide angle lenses perform best on this camera?

I don't think you can go wrong with any Leica lens. Pick the focal length and f stop that suit you.

If my experience is any guide, you will be disappointed. It's a grand camera to be sure, but I found I could do better converting color shots to B&W in Lightroom. You have control over how colors are converted to gray scales while with the Monochrom you do not. You need top quality gear to match the Leica's sharpness, but that's easily done and for a lot less $$.

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 07:30:21 am »

First, the subject of wides on the MM is a wide topic. Best to ID which lens range you are interested in - super wides (say 12-15mm), really wides (18-21-24mm), medium wides (28-35mm), for example... although these groupings are subjective. For instance, in the 35mm wides, there are so many good ones - CV Color Skopar f2.5, Zeiss, Summilux and Summicron both...

As to results -  have to disagree with comments about LR transformation. There is a lot of good things that can happen converting color to BW, for sure, but the MM (especially the M9 for some and the M10M now) are remarkable cameras, taking exceptional images. The high ISO capabilities of the M10M allow one to shoot readily up to 12,500, if not 25,000, without grain. The images are more like medium format than FF. Its not for everyone, but they can be really mesmerizing to work with, having tremendous lattitude in the files. 
Geoff

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 06:08:09 am »

I've owned a few M digital cameras starting with the M10, M10-R and now the M11. I love the M11.

I have never shot with the M Monochrom, however, I love the 35mm lens. I own the APO Summicron 35mm and Summilux 35mm. These are both great lenses, however, the APO stays on my camera most of the time. It is the one lens I take on numerous travel vacations.

The APO 35mm is insanely sharp. I'm sure it would be awesome on the Monochrom.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography.
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

morbuch

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 11:42:11 pm »

The WA's on the M9M that I prefer most are the CV 3,5/28 Color Skopar and 21 SEM.

Paul_Roark

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 04:41:30 pm »

The Leica M apo 35mm is the best I've ever used.  I had to return 2 Color Scopars.  They showed a tilted focal plane on my KoloriVision modified Sony that is generally very compatible with Leica M glass.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

JeanMichel

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2022, 08:15:51 pm »

Any Leica lens has always worked perfectly on all Leicas with a monochrome capture device — such a Tri-X, so they all will work fine with a Monochrom model.
Pages: [1]   Go Up