Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coordination of Raw Adjustments in Smart Object between LR and PS  (Read 2362 times)

hubell

I am trying to establish a new workflow in which I export my LR raw file (after LR adjustments) to Edit in PS as a Smart Object and have a few questions.
1. If I want to make additional changes to the raw file, such as refining a LR mask, I can do that by double clicking on the Smart Object and redoing the prior LR edits in ACR. However, if I then close and save the PS file as a TIFF, the TIFF will go back to LR as a TIFF. Once back in LR, do the changes I made to the Smart Object in PS change the settings fir the original raw file in LR, and can I can make further edits to the raw file in LR that will show up in the Smart Object? Or, do I need to think about the original raw and the raw file adjustments in the Smart Object in the TIFF as two separate files? Is there a way to change the raw file settings in LR to the same settings from ACR in the TIFF file?

2. If I open a SO in a TIFF in PS, make a change and try to exit from ACR, it always reopens a Smart Filter that I previously applied to the SO (e.g., Topaz Sharpen AI). Is there a way to stop that, as it is a waste of time to just redo the same Smart Filter?

3. If I want to make a test print at a smaller size and downscale the original file with the SO as the background layer and I then do a Save (e.g., because I made changes to the file after evaluating the test print, is there still a way to revert to the original file size without now upscaling the file?

Thanks for any advice.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Coordination of Raw Adjustments in Smart Object between LR and PS
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 12:51:33 pm »

ALL making a SO does is embed a copy of the raw (and parametric edits) into the Photoshop stack and allows you to then re-edit the raw using ACR there. That's really it.
If you render the raw/SO into that stack and save it as a TIFF, it's all 'burned' to pixels in the layers and of course, LR can't do anything with those layers that it doesn't support. You're now editing what amounts to a 'flattened' TIFF if editing inside LR.
So consider how raws, parametric edits, layers, and pixels are handled here in this 'new' workflow. The main answer to your question is, yes.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

hubell

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 09:29:33 pm »

ALL making a SO does is embed a copy of the raw (and parametric edits) into the Photoshop stack and allows you to then re-edit the raw using ACR there. That's really it.
If you render the raw/SO into that stack and save it as a TIFF, it's all 'burned' to pixels in the layers and of course, LR can't do anything with those layers that it doesn't support. You're now editing what amounts to a 'flattened' TIFF if editing inside LR.
So consider how raws, parametric edits, layers, and pixels are handled here in this 'new' workflow. The main answer to your question is, yes.

The raw instructions in the SO are "burned into pixels"? My understanding is that the pixels were not changed until the TIFF file with the SO was flattened. In other words, you could go back into the SO at any time and change the raw file that was originally exported into PS from LR, and the pixels would not have been changed in the meantime. It seems that you are saying that the raw file embedded in the SO cannot be adjusted without changing rthe pixels, sort of like taking a TIFF from PS back into LR and applying new parametric edits to it in LR.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 10:07:59 pm »

The raw instructions in the SO are "burned into pixels"? My understanding is that the pixels were not changed until the TIFF file with the SO was flattened.
The instructions are the instructions. Nothing is 'burned' until rendering then indeed, instructions and raw become rendered (burned) pixels.
What I wrote is this: ALL making a SO does is embed a copy of the raw (and parametric edits) into the Photoshop stack and allows you to then re-edit the raw using ACR there. That's really it.
No different than instructions, raw, and what you can eventually render from ACR or LR. You can go back to the raw and re-edit instructions with those products as you do with a SO.
It seems that you are saying that the raw file embedded in the SO cannot be adjusted without changing rthe pixels, sort of like taking a TIFF from PS back into LR and applying new parametric edits to it in LR.
Again, all you get is a raw in a stack with rendered pixels 'underneath' so to speak. The raw is still raw. The instructions are just that. You render the raw into those other pixels when you wish after which, no more raw, no more instructions. And at that time, you've burned that into a pixel layer. With the others.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up