Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One XT Rodenstock 90mm f/5.6 in-depth review  (Read 1602 times)

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
Phase One XT Rodenstock 90mm f/5.6 in-depth review
« on: June 12, 2022, 02:04:31 pm »

Hello everyone! After a long hiatus due to my traveling, I am happy to have finally managed to complete the fourth - and last, for now - of my in-depth reviews dedicated to Rodenstock XT lenses, that is, Rodenstock lenses used in X-Shutter and on a Phase One XT. This fourth instalment will examine the Rodenstock 90mm f/5.6, an equivalent to a "long normal" for full-frame medium format and one of the most amazing lenses available for the XT (spoiler: it is really great, get that wallet ready!).

You can find the whole review here, if interested: https://www.vieribottazzini.com/2022/06/xt-rodenstock-90mm-f-5-6-in-depth-review.html

Enjoy the read & images, and I am looking forward to your comments! Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

BAB

Re: Phase One XT Rodenstock 90mm f/5.6 in-depth review
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 04:57:58 pm »

Yea I know its been 120 days since posted but saw no replies just wanted to say I found your article very worthwhile reading...I hope your travels bring great images.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2023, 09:35:29 pm »

Yea I know its been 120 days since posted but saw no replies just wanted to say I found your article very worthwhile reading...I hope your travels bring great images.

Hey BAB, thank you very much, it's actually been 1 & 1/2 year, I posted this in June 2022  ;D Glad you found it informative, always happy to help!

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

narikin

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 10:18:40 am »

I've had this lens since it was first released, and ultra rare. (Rodenstock/Alpa had issues centering it, apparently)
Alpa SB mount, not XT-mount.

It's a stupendous lens when used to its full coverage ability - shifted for 4-way stitching on an Alpa Max for example.
IMHO, it set a new high-bar for MF digital stitching when it was released. Not been keeping up with things since.
Still got mine here.

That said, it's really not the best lens for the XT, as you're wasting that amazing field coverage, and lugging around a lot of big heavy glass. If you want a 90mm for travel/ hiking, I'd go for the Schneider 90/4.5, which was a great leans - far, far lighter, and just as sharp for the central, non-shifted area. I owned both, and the blue ring 90mm Roddie, (3x90mm!) which sadly is not in the same ballpark as either if these options.

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 12:41:50 pm »

I've had this lens since it was first released, and ultra rare. (Rodenstock/Alpa had issues centering it, apparently)
Alpa SB mount, not XT-mount.

It's a stupendous lens when used to its full coverage ability - shifted for 4-way stitching on an Alpa Max for example.
IMHO, it set a new high-bar for MF digital stitching when it was released. Not been keeping up with things since.
Still got mine here.

That said, it's really not the best lens for the XT, as you're wasting that amazing field coverage, and lugging around a lot of big heavy glass. If you want a 90mm for travel/ hiking, I'd go for the Schneider 90/4.5, which was a great leans - far, far lighter, and just as sharp for the central, non-shifted area. I owned both, and the blue ring 90mm Roddie, (3x90mm!) which sadly is not in the same ballpark as either if these options.

I think it also depends on the amount of use you do with the focal length. My main lenses are the 23mm and 40mm, and I very seldom use longer lenses.

So, when I moved to an Alpa STC as my main system, I did just that, got one of the last Schneider 90/4.5 they had available and saved a lot of room and weight in the bag. For the amount of use I do, and with the shift of the STC, the Schneider 90mm is perfect.

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 08:03:59 pm »

I would like to buy a Schneider 90mm/f4.5 but would like to check its full name because there are so many Schneider 90mm lenses out there. Are we talking about a "Schneider Apo Digitar 90NF4,5" with an image circle of 90 mm?

This title is from a French listing on eBay and I do not know what the "NF" means.

Is it the lens in the attached photo?
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 07:25:18 pm »

Further comments from my research:

It seems the "MC" often used in the name of the Schneider Apo Digitar means "Macro", and not "Multi-Coated"! And that the lens is designed for flat-field copying, such as, duplicating slides. I don't know how well it copes with three-dimensional subjects as I don't have one to try.

Also, I have been told the Novoflex Schneider Pyrite f4.5 90mm lens is the same lens but without a shutter. It comes only in the Novoflex mount but this can be removed.

I hope this info helps somebody! I am still trying to find one of these lenses in good condition.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand
Pages: [1]   Go Up