Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adapter for Nikon lens on Sony mirrorless camera?  (Read 453 times)

deanwork

Adapter for Nikon lens on Sony mirrorless camera?
« on: June 10, 2022, 09:35:01 am »

I have a Sony A7r2 mirrorless  dslr and was wanting to see if there is an adapter that will allow me to use my Nikon
ED 24-70 zoom on it. I usually use this lens on a Nikon D810.

I don’t need auto focus and could also get by without metering as I’m doing still life on a tripod and have a spot meter.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks John

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Adapter for Nikon lens on Sony mirrorless camera?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 03:09:06 pm »

I've only used manual focus Nikon lenses with dumb adapters.  Is this an E lens with camera control of the aperture or does it have a full manual aperture ring?  If the latter you could just get a dumb adapter.  If it's an E lens you'll need a Smart adapter which will also impart EXIF and manage IBIS for you (I think).

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 03:55:13 pm »

It’s a newer lens about 5 years old. The aperture is not manual it’s electronic in the camera only.

The lens is AF-S Nikkor 24-70 1.2.8G ED

I've only used manual focus Nikon lenses with dumb adapters.  Is this an E lens with camera control of the aperture or does it have a full manual aperture ring?  If the latter you could just get a dumb adapter.  If it's an E lens you'll need a Smart adapter which will also impart EXIF and manage IBIS for you (I think).

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 04:41:38 pm »

I imagine you've looked around.  There's a link for B&H supposed to be for FF Sony with E type Nikon lenses.  I would be very wary when you buy and make sure you test one carefully and return it if it doesn't do what you want.  The Nikon smart adapters came along a good bit later than Canon and have less revs.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?q=Nikon%20To%20Sony%20Adapter%20Autofocus&filters=fct_camera-body-mount_1595%3Asony-e-mount-full-frame-cameras%2Cfct_lens-mount_1596%3Anikon-f-e-type-lens

In addition to basic functionality make sure that the image is sharp, especially in the corners.  Some makers design the adapter a fraction too thin to ensure that they can hit infinity on a wide variety of lenses.  The only problem is that this throws off the internal focusing (where elements move relative to each other) and leaves less well corrected images.  I've experienced this, it's especially bad on WA lenses, and chose to shim the adapters.  Since then I've found other adapters with spot on thickness (Sigma though and only available for Canon lenses).

deanwork

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 06:21:42 pm »

Thank you Mike. I’ll read the reviews and thank about it. Looks like there might be some issues with reading f stop accurately. This is also a pretty big zoom, not a prime so that may play a role as well. It may be morel trouble than it’s worth for an extra 6 megapixels of data.

John

I imagine you've looked around.  There's a link for B&H supposed to be for FF Sony with E type Nikon lenses.  I would be very wary when you buy and make sure you test one carefully and return it if it doesn't do what you want.  The Nikon smart adapters came along a good bit later than Canon and have less revs.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?q=Nikon%20To%20Sony%20Adapter%20Autofocus&filters=fct_camera-body-mount_1595%3Asony-e-mount-full-frame-cameras%2Cfct_lens-mount_1596%3Anikon-f-e-type-lens

In addition to basic functionality make sure that the image is sharp, especially in the corners.  Some makers design the adapter a fraction too thin to ensure that they can hit infinity on a wide variety of lenses.  The only problem is that this throws off the internal focusing (where elements move relative to each other) and leaves less well corrected images.  I've experienced this, it's especially bad on WA lenses, and chose to shim the adapters.  Since then I've found other adapters with spot on thickness (Sigma though and only available for Canon lenses).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 11:42:10 am by deanwork »
Pages: [1]   Go Up