Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What print and mounts are the most popular in 2022  (Read 771 times)

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
What print and mounts are the most popular in 2022
« on: June 10, 2022, 06:36:41 am »

I get asked all the time what are my customers purchasing when it comes to media and photo mounting.
We just had several back to back group workshops and this subject always seems to come up.
Here is a pretty good estimate. No trade secrets but here is what customers are asking for.

Pigment Sunset Select Matte canvas gallery wrapped  25%
Pigment Sunset Select Matte canvas on gatorboard. 15%
Chromaluxe metal prints 20%
Solvent canvas on Breathing Color Urth and Fredrix Satin SUV 15%
Canvas gallery wraps in floating frames and
Canvas on gatorboard framed 16%
HTV -Heat transfer Vinyl print and cut and dye sub 2%
Hahnemuhle FAB prints 2%
Canson Etching Rag prints 2%
Misc. dye sub mugs, shirts, masks and logo bags 1.5%
Epson PLPP, Phototex and other economy papers.05%
Dye sublimation color lyte glass and slate .05%
Solvent print and cut stickers .05%

I learned very early on that it was almost impossible to make any real money on prints alone. 
To run a full time business we needed a combination of printing mounting and framing.
People want one stop ready to hang and that is what I give them.
Everything but glass and mats. We send all that work down the road.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 06:55:37 am by dgberg »

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: What print and mounts are the most popular in 2022
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 07:59:31 am »

Great info Dan.  Thanks for posting.

Can you give some idea of your clientele?  That probably has an impact.  For example I believe you have a lot of large business/buildings/corporations (eg hospitals/offices).  I wonder what their flavors are vs private individuals.

So your canvas business (all types) is a little over 70% overall.  Do you still attach canvas to gator with Miracle Muck, or something else now?

Thanks

Mike

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 08:56:39 am »

Hi Mike
Nice to hear from you again.
My biggest client is a large Pa. hospital.
Working through there interior design firm they presently order 30"x40" gallery wraps from 10 to 30 at a time.
In the past we printed on the P8000 pigment and sprayed using Sunset UV topcoat.
The drying time was killing us. If you can imagine a dozen or more canvases of that size lying around to dry without getting any dirt on them.
I am now printing all their canvas with the Epson s80600 solvent printer with no lamination required. The printer has a triple heater and a motorized roll to roll pickup unit.
They dry as they come off the printer right onto the roll. We usually wait a half day or more to wrap but they could be mounted sooner.
Our second biggest client is a dog photographer. He has a pretty nice display of everything you could imagine in his photography studio and dental office.
We do more gallery wraps than gator mounts for him but we still mount quite a few using Miracle Muck. (Great stuff!)

The non commercial printing and mounting has been a mixture of everything still mostly canvas and metal. Business is off on the retail end as the cost of living increase has destroyed many peoples disposable income.
On top of that most of our materials have gone up as much as 50% some even higher. Two years ago an 8x10 Chromaluxe panel was $11.00 they are now $19.25. We had to raise our prices 20% just to cover the higher material costs. Nothing more for my pockets.
Lots of companies still have money to spend. The trick is finding them.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 07:52:04 am by dgberg »

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 11:26:23 am »

Thanks again Dan ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up