Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows TB4 and adapted Firewire won't work  (Read 704 times)

andyptak

Windows TB4 and adapted Firewire won't work
« on: May 27, 2022, 04:26:42 pm »

I'm trying to tether an older Phase One back with Firewire to my new Asus laptop with TB4.

Just using adapter cables from FW to TB2 and then to TB3 didn't work so I got an external Express Card adapter from Sonnett (who tell me it's fine with Windows) and it still didn't work with a FW Express Card that I know is fine. I copied the FW drivers from an old machine with Windows 7 which I know does work and still doesn't work on my new Windows 11 machine.

No matter what I do I get an "unknown device" message from Device Manager.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

degrub

Re: Windows TB4 and adapted Firewire won't work
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 06:29:27 pm »

Device drivers from Win7 implementation are not likely to work under Win 10 or 11. Unless the manufacturer has published updated drivers or Windows has default drivers, you may be out of luck.
Did you let windows search for a driver from Microsoft ?

Maybe Phase 1 has an updated file for Win 11  once the device has a working firewire driver.

What about a USB to Firewire adapter ?

Your other option might be to see if Linux has a current driver and let it run in a Linux box.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 06:33:19 pm by degrub »

andyptak

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 06:51:49 pm »

Microsoft orphaned FW support with Win 10, but a number of people claim that they have copied the drivers from previous versions of Windows and it has worked - but not for me. Phase One have little interest in supporting legacy products. It's a good job they have some very good dealers - talking about you Steve Hendrix - because the company is notably absent in forums like this. Contrary to the Amazon merchants claims, USB to FW adapters only transmit power, not data. It's just a con.

I think I'm probably screwed, but there are many people here who know much more than me so I'm hoping one of them sees this. Thanks for the try.

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 11:51:31 am »

Use something like VMWare Workstation, spin up a Win7 VM, pass thru the Sonnet device to the VM & do the captures there?

What machine did you use previously? There is nothing PhaseOne can do if Microsoft decides to pull out the underlying tech.  The folks who have it working sound to be upgrades, rather than new installs.

Depending on how far down the setup of the new laptop you are, can you 'downgrade' to Windows 10 long enough to get FW working, then upgrade?  The downgrade would involve doing a reinstall & erasing everything, and drivers will be an issue - check the Asus site to see if they have Win10 drivers before going too far.
t: @PNWMF

tastar

• http://www.tastarsupply.com
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 01:19:04 pm »

I have no idea whether this would work, but there is a Startech Thunderbolt 3 PCIE enclosure and a PCIE FireWire card that you can connect to your notebook:

PCIE Enclosure

FireWire Card

The Startech website says they work with both Macs and PCs and their tech support should be able to tell you if it will do what you are looking for.

Tony

andyptak

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 04:37:35 pm »

Thanks guys. I've had a fiend who's a hardware tech, working on this for me because I know nothing about this. I just saw TB4 and "knew" that it could be adapted - duh! My friend has tried everything that he knows and has come up dry.

My old machine is a 13" Fijitsu 2 in 1. It was slow and surprisingly physically clunky because it is quite fat. It did the job however. Now it's long in the tooth and just not practical anymore. A failing battery was the last straw and it just wasn't worth putting any more money into. I don't want to upgrade my back either. I like it.

I think I just have to face the fact that it's the end of my MF tethered days. Too bad. My thanks to all.

Pages: [1]   Go Up