Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canson on Epson Media Manager?  (Read 1048 times)

samogitian

Canson on Epson Media Manager?
« on: May 19, 2022, 11:07:10 am »

Am I missing something? The Media Manager does not have an entry for Canson. What would be the best practice for Baryta Photographique II?

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Re: Canson on Epson Media Manager?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 12:11:51 pm »

The Canson paper website has that info on their ICC profile page.

https://www.canson-infinity.com/en/icc-profiles

~ CB

samogitian

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 07:42:50 am »

I thought that the Epson media manager handled more than just ICC profiles and included printer specific settings like platen gap, etc.

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 09:15:21 am »

Am I missing something? The Media Manager does not have an entry for Canson. What would be the best practice for Baryta Photographique II?

Which Epson printer?   And are you talking about the Epson Media Installer utility, or something actually called “Media Manager?”

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Tuco

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 12:05:55 pm »

The "Epson Media Installer" for the few new printers that support it, doesn't have non-Epson papers in it.  You copy the closest Epson paper, then alter the copy, changing media thickness, ICC profile, name to "canson", etc.

samogitian

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 06:12:08 pm »

Yes, it's the Epson Media Installer, which apparently isn't working on my computer right now. Go figure.

Rand47

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 07:22:53 pm »

Yes, it's the Epson Media Installer, which apparently isn't working on my computer right now. Go figure.

OK, that helps.  Once you are able to launch the program, find the Epson paper that Canson recommends as their “media type” for your Canson paper.  Copy that, and the “edit” it - starting by entering the name of the paper at the top of the edit window.  Then, take some calipers and measure the actual thickness of the paper (VERY often the Epson media type paper can be very different in thickness [caliper] than your 3rd party paper.)  Then “browse” to associate this new custom media type with it’s ICC profile (assuming you installed it on your system first, as you should do).  When done, just save and “register” it to the printer.  Oh, and the printer must on to do this.

Now when you go to load the paper you can “load it by its actual name” that you gave it right on the LCD panel.  From that point on, any tweaks you make to that paper type via the LCD panel on the printer will “stick” until you change them.  E.g. Platen Gap, drying time per pass, etc.

I’ve owned a bunch of Epson printers, and when I was first “forced” to learn this with my new printer (7570) I hated the idea.  Now, however, it is a very cool way to do this.  I don’t have to “remember” a bunch of Epson media type to go find and adjust other stuff on each iteration of use.  It’s pretty slick.

Rand
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 09:38:08 am by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: [1]   Go Up