Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Poster  (Read 4107 times)

Yeeeeeeha

New Poster
« on: January 09, 2007, 01:33:51 am »

Hello everyone, I've been following LL for a while and thought I'd post some work. These photo's are more recent additions to my "favorites" folder. More of my work can be found at:

http://www.yeeeeeeha.com/Photography/Panoramas/index.htm

I'd enjoy input.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 01:40:01 am by Yeeeeeeha »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
New Poster
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 02:09:10 am »

Okay, you asked...

On the first one, my eye takes a brief look at the windmills, but ends up following the road from the bottom of the frame up, to the right and out of the picture.  Ditto for the image of the wall.  The second picture is also rather dark.  The third one has interesting clouds, but lacks foreground interest.  Good efforts, but with each picture, ask yourself what the focus is for you and how you can best achieve it...

My $0.02

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
New Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 03:37:46 am »

Hi there,

Nice images with potential, thanks for sharing.

1. Like it overall, but I personnally tend to prefer those vertical structures to be either perfectly vertical (a la 4x5 with shift) or really way off for a more dynamic effect. The current slight lack of verticality disturbs me a bit.

2. I personnally like the dark atmosphere, but the wall itself might not standout enough everywhere,

3. Very nice clouds and light. A powerful foreground could make the image totally outstanding, but could also threaten to compete with the sky.

Cheers,
Bernard

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
New Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 06:14:13 pm »

Better comments, Bernard... I may have been overly harsh in my assessment.

Mike.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
New Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 07:00:35 pm »

Windmills are OK - I like the BW conversion and actually like the way the vanishing point comes together - including the power lines.   Maybe a crop a bit from the bottom, there's a bit much negative space in the road.

I really like the wall, I don't mind that the shadows are blocked up a bit, but might crop a bit from the top where it's significantly lighter that the rest of the frame.

I played with the clouds a bit, I think the problem is that the extreme highlight at the top of the frame draws the eye right out.  I cropped off the top a bit, burned the top, dodged the centre, duplicated and multiplied the background layer and added a gradient mask to restore the foreground.  I left the effect somewhat exaggerated, you could back off the opacity of the multiply a bit.

[attachment=1505:attachment]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 07:06:29 pm by Tim Gray »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
New Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 06:29:40 pm »

Nicely done!

Mike.

Yeeeeeeha

New Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 10:20:23 pm »

Keep going....

1. I like how empty the road is. it's the emotion of choice in the image for me. perhaps i'm too close to it. I did tend to go off the page at first as well but then found myself looking back and eventually falling into a nice pattern counter clockwise and pausing on the far left windmill. not the best start, but it built for me with a little time. obviously not optimal but ultimatly satisfying with the feeling of the open road. of course for me it's personal which is always the danger of judging your own work.

2. I feel the natural gradation of dark to light helps add needed depth even though it's a 300mm lens. I could take some off the top but I was afriad of losing the little hop of extra distance past the ruins and squeezing in on it to much. I was trying to make the image as much about the extensive landscape as it was about the deserted ruined great wall.

3. I'm just a cloud freak. honestly, the image isn't may favorite due to any compositional or stellar subject matter. it was more the angelic feeling that was captured. this photo was untouched after downloading off the card. I like the touch up - feels painterly. I'll have to pause on it for a bit for thought.

Or.. I it could just be bad framing, poor eye patterning and clouds.

in relation to the windmills.. here's another one.  and one more for fun. see how you like these.

thanks for the reactions.

-dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up