Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sheer inkjet paper  (Read 803 times)

rogan

Sheer inkjet paper
« on: May 12, 2022, 12:15:06 pm »

Forgive my lack of paper naming and types. I am looking for a paper that is translucent(I want to call it vellum or glassine material) that comes in rolls I could print on. Not looking for clear film but paper that hangs. When printed could be somewhat see-through in the highlight areas. Thoughts or recommendations? thank you in advance.

MfAlab

• Modern Fine Art printing laboratory
    • HSU fine print
Re: Sheer inkjet paper
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 04:45:17 am »

inkjet tracing paper, maybe?

Here is a Canson one: https://en.canson.com/polyester-film-75-microns-0
Kang-Wei Hsu
digital printing & color management
fixative tests preview: https://reurl.cc/OVGDmr

virojarvi

• www.virojarvi.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 05:26:52 am »

Awagami or Ilford Washi are an option if you like the looks of Japanese papers.

Timo

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 02:43:12 pm »

Google HP Inkjet Tracing Paper!

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

deanwork

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 03:24:53 pm »

Are there any non-yellowing non-staining transparent or translucent inkjet large format  films out there?

I emailed a very large company that sells all kinds of inkjet film rolls and they don’t know of any. Apparently uv light will yellow them all. A lot of companies sell them for short term ad displays but I can’t find a any that have stable properties to produce collectible works with.

John

Google HP Inkjet Tracing Paper!

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 09:44:31 am »

Are there any non-yellowing non-staining transparent or translucent inkjet large format  films out there?

I emailed a very large company that sells all kinds of inkjet film rolls and they don’t know of any. Apparently uv light will yellow them all. A lot of companies sell them for short term ad displays but I can’t find a any that have stable properties to produce collectible works with.

John

The PET substrate itself is quite stable, UV light considered, but coatings may be less stable. 

Collectible works ..........  I was once asked by a museum whether a Merz iglo; bamboo bows + the olde genuine tracing paper + matte red and black sprayed paint, could be replaced by more stable media.  There was not much left of the original quality after decades of storing depots and exhibitions.  I found a good PET material with similar look, the red could be made but the black did not get enough light blocking density, even with two print runs.  I advised them to get a skilled spray can artist or a print shop with a flatbed printer specially for back lighted signs. Recalled an Arizona printer with a really light blocking black seen on a Fespa exhibition, glossy ink though so a mat varnish should follow.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

deanwork

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 01:56:50 pm »

What is PET?

Cool.

I always wondered what happened to Mario’s igloos from the 70s-80s. I love those things.  I’ve seen Oppenheim photo works from the 70s totally deteriorated. Kind of makes it tricky for collectors :-) . I have spend a lot of my time over the years  “restoring” color data from my drum scans of deteriorated color negatives so they can be printed to replace color shifted c prints . What a mess and a total pain. People wonder why we seem obsessed about using inks and papers that have a potential to last. That’s because we have seen these things happen for decades.

The PET substrate itself is quite stable, UV light considered, but coatings may be less stable. 

Collectible works ..........  I was once asked by a museum whether a Merz iglo; bamboo bows + the olde genuine tracing paper + matte red and black sprayed paint, could be replaced by more stable media.  There was not much left of the original quality after decades of storing depots and exhibitions.  I found a good PET material with similar look, the red could be made but the black did not get enough light blocking density, even with two print runs.  I advised them to get a skilled spray can artist or a print shop with a flatbed printer specially for back lighted signs. Recalled an Arizona printer with a really light blocking black seen on a Fespa exhibition, glossy ink though so a mat varnish should follow.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 05:34:49 am »

What is PET?

Cool.

I always wondered what happened to Mario’s igloos from the 70s-80s. I love those things.  I’ve seen Oppenheim photo works from the 70s totally deteriorated. Kind of makes it tricky for collectors :-) . I have spend a lot of my time over the years  “restoring” color data from my drum scans of deteriorated color negatives so they can be printed to replace color shifted c prints . What a mess and a total pain. People wonder why we seem obsessed about using inks and papers that have a potential to last. That’s because we have seen these things happen for decades.

PolyEthyleneTerephtalate or usually called Polyester, the stuff your Coke bottle is made of and the substrate of some color films, several varieties exist though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_terephthalate#Physical_properties  Mylar, Melinex, Hostaphan, are trade names.

Here in The Netherlands there are some really good restoration studios, often linked to museums and universities. What wonders me is that most of the research done is related to media/methods that have proven to be non-stable and little is done on new artist' s media/methods that are used now or in the last two decades.  I can understand that to keep these studios running for the next decades and centuries their interest is not in research related to today' s artist' s practices and by that improve their longivity.  Maybe a bit harsh on them but it surprises me that nobody from these institutes ever contacted me on the subject of SpectrumViz.  Sure what I have done is hardly on a scientific level but did Aardenburg Imaging get some attention for its work from EU institutes like mentioned?

deanwork

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 11:42:31 am »

It’s very complicated, contemporary art, Whenever I’ve tried to talk to higher end photo
gallery personnel about longevity they practically put their hands over their ears.

When it comes to painting and sculpture or installation works forgetaboutit .   

Pollock with automotive paint, Rauschenberg with any kind of refuse he could come up with, and of course the transient materials of  Beuys , Polke ,  Eva Hesse’s polymer pieces, and all the giant C prints laminated to plexi, it’s endless. I heard a story that Eggleston had a museum call him about some “vintage” C prints that arrived and all the light areas had shifted badly red. He told them, oh yea, that’s intentional. 🙃

PolyEthyleneTerephtalate or usually called Polyester, the stuff your Coke bottle is made of and the substrate of some color films, several varieties exist though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_terephthalate#Physical_properties  Mylar, Melinex, Hostaphan, are trade names.

Here in The Netherlands there are some really good restoration studios, often linked to museums and universities. What wonders me is that most of the research done is related to media/methods that have proven to be non-stable and little is done on new artist' s media/methods that are used now or in the last two decades.  I can understand that to keep these studios running for the next decades and centuries their interest is not in research related to today' s artist' s practices and by that improve their longivity.  Maybe a bit harsh on them but it surprises me that nobody from these institutes ever contacted me on the subject of SpectrumViz.  Sure what I have done is hardly on a scientific level but did Aardenburg Imaging get some attention for its work from EU institutes like mentioned?

Pages: [1]   Go Up