Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ancient Epson 7600 printer with new Mac Studio M1?  (Read 387 times)

Jim Metzger

Ancient Epson 7600 printer with new Mac Studio M1?
« on: May 07, 2022, 12:30:36 pm »

I know this is a long shot but has anyone tried to pair an Epson Stylus Pro 7600 (circa 2001) with a new Mac Studio M1 computer?

My old 7600 workhorse is still chugging along and I have enough original Epson ink to get me through another year+ of printing. My Mac Mini late 2012 running Mojave 10.14 is getting long in the tooth and is choking a bit on current 40+mb photo files.

I'd like to know if anyone has made this update. Current Epson drivers for the 7600 indicate that they do support OS 12.X. but are there any hardware compatibility issues I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance.

Jim "I'm not an early adopter" Metzger

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Ancient Epson 7600 printer with new Mac Studio M1?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 02:10:57 pm »

i think you have to consider an older computer to be a part of the printer... just to print
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

jwestpro1

Re: Ancient Epson 7600 printer with new Mac Studio M1?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 04:34:27 pm »

i think you have to consider an older computer to be a part of the printer... just to print

This is a good plan if a person already has the "old" computer like I do or if some software will only run on it.  As far as I can tell, my Studioprint RIP still only runs on Windows but my system works perfectly:
"old" PC built new back when my epson 9800 was the newest thing.   The PC was built solely for the purpose of running the rip and nothing else and is connected via ethernet to my macs over the years.  The PC runs Windows XP which is also hassle-free and stable.  It is not connected to the internet so there is no virus worry and the whole thing is as if it's still 2005 ;-)

As for older macs slowing on larger digital files....  my 2010 mac pro 6 core 3.33 was upgraded to 2012 12 core 3.46 a while back, has 96gb ram, separate ssd's for OS and a working space both mounted via pci directly on the board so it's actually still quite fast enough and I'm even now working on 200gb raw files from a Fuji GFX 100s.

Capture One 22 also runs perfectly so far in the Mojave OS which is the last OS this era mac pro can use, i think.  With C1 22 and adobe cloud working fine on it, I'm good for a few more years at least.

Pages: [1]   Go Up