Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera/Lens selection for copy work (mostly film scanning)  (Read 950 times)

DanielStone

Hi all,

So I've had in mind for nearly two years now, to build a camera scanning setup, which would be primarily for scanning film(mostly 120 roll film and 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 sheets). However, I could see "scanning" prints as well, although not the primary purpose of this build. My focus(pun intended) has been mostly on the film stage, and how to best move it in sequenced stages for accurate stitching.
But when it comes to the camera, I know all sensors behave differently, so I figured I'd pick some brains here. Seeing that I'm stitching, and will likely be doing a 1:1 ratio of what's in the viewfinder to what's being documented size-wise on the film, does megapixel count truly matter THAT much? I ask, because I have a D700(12mp) that is still working fine, and the D3/D700 sensor is well known for it's color rendition. I'm sure more modern cameras have bested it, but I have the camera in-hand already(plus a D750), BUT if I can leave the D700 permanently mounted on the copy stand, it makes it less fussy when preparing to sit down and scan.

This isn't going to be some museum archival type project, but a long term use system that if needed, I can always upgrade the camera stage portion later on, if needed/desired.
Plan is to shoot, tethered, into C1 and then stitch files together in post.

I've been out of the digital game for some time, so jumping back in with this project so I can blur the lines between shooting film and digitizing my film going forward.

thx,
Dan

degrub

Re: Camera/Lens selection for copy work (mostly film scanning)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 01:03:41 pm »

Hi Dan,

There is at least one article on the main site and multiple threads in the forum that i think cover your questions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up