Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CFExpress cards tested  (Read 646 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
CFExpress cards tested
« on: April 27, 2022, 08:40:00 pm »

I have always owned a ton of memory cards. Years ago, in the dawn of digital, I lost a morning of shots that I thought had been properly backed up to a Digital Wallet, and blithely formatted the cards I had and kept shooting. I ended up reshooting three or four shots, a half day, at my own expense with four models and crew because the Digital Wallet (actual brand) died in the middle of backing up a then whopping 340MB, and I didn't know it. As a result, fast forward a little and I owned a couple dozen CF cards and used them (as I still do now) like individual rolls of film (though I shoot one shot to a card so it might be 150 frames or 500 frames). One shot, one card. My philosophy has always been to have enough cards to do two days of a catalog and never reformat a card (though everything is backed up throughout the day). Sadly, my CF cards sit in a bin without a camera in which to use them. I now have a couple dozen SD cards. Not unlike my CF cards, their read/write speeds seem to vary a lot based on manufacturer. All though are "film roll sized" 32GB.

I own a Canon R5 and thought I might as well dip my toe into CFExpress since that seems to be a coming standard. However, they are bloody expensive averaging about $99/64GB card. At that price, I hate the thought of getting a lemon in terms of performance. I bought three cards, all costing $99 from B&H: Lexar Pro 64GB, SanDisk Extreme 64GB, and the Delkin Prime 64GB. The real gem was the Lexar as it was being sold bundled with a Lexar USB3.1 Gen2 CFExpress reader. My following tests were all done using this reader in one of my Gen2 USB-C ports. To make things interesting, I decided to "build" my own CFExpress card after reading articles in PetaPixel and Tom's Hardware. It seems the CFExpress cards are really just small NVMe 2230 SSD drives stuck in a housing. I bought a Sintech housing direct from the company for about $47and a Kioxia (formerly Toshiba) 128GB SSD from Amazon for $15. So, for a neat $62 and about 15 minutes of my time, I had a card with twice the capacity for about 1/3 less money. But would it perform?

See my tests and bar chart for yourself. In short, my DIY was a good buy. The other take away is that SanDisk is not the performance company it once was. While the other three were similar in write performance, SanDisk was severely lacking.
Pages: [1]   Go Up