Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to mount and display very delicate papers  (Read 1341 times)

chez

How to mount and display very delicate papers
« on: April 25, 2022, 05:47:39 pm »

I've inherited a couple of beautiful paintings on very thin bark paper...thin enough to see light coming through when held up to the sky. I would like to display these paintings. Any suggestions about methods of attaching the bark papers to some form of backer board?

Simon J.A. Simpson

Re: How to mount and display very delicate papers
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 06:59:14 am »

The best, and archival approved, method is to attach it using only tape along the top edge.  With most photographic papers a pressure sensitive masking tape will do the job but with your delicate bark paper you might need something less adhesive.  Perhaps surgical tape might be the answer ?

MichaelKoerner

• www.medien-atelier.at
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 01:52:04 pm »

My recommendation: Neschen Filmoplast P90 with T-hinge technique (Youtube)

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 03:08:37 pm »

P90 is good, though the products in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SgIJhs_6kE&ab_channel=RINALDINSRL are the full conservation choice, just slightly less easy to work with.

Every masking tape I've ever met has gone one of two ways - either dries and crumbles to dust, leaving a crusty residue, or turns to sticky  gloop leaving an evil residue. Surgical tape is designed to be replaced every day, and I do not believe is an archival solution.

chez

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 05:58:03 pm »

If I hinged the paper at the top, would the downward force eventually pull apart the paper. It's very delicate and you can actually see strands if you look closely. I'm thinking of float mounting the print to somekind of foam core, then attaching the foam to a matte, framed with a glass spacer.

MichaelKoerner

• www.medien-atelier.at
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 07:19:08 pm »

P90 is good, though the products in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SgIJhs_6kE&ab_channel=RINALDINSRL are the full conservation choice, just slightly less easy to work with.

Correct, but with regard to fragile/thin art work I'd be very careful with water activated glue (as in Hayaku).

I'm thinking of float mounting the print to somekind of foam core, then attaching the foam to a matte, framed with a glass spacer.

Sounds good (and beautiful), apart from the conservational method I know uses hinges, too  ;) Something like full faced dry mount would not be conservational.

In my opinion the top mat would help to keep (small) art work in place. Apropos, what size are the sheets you want to frame?

chez

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 09:33:46 pm »

The prints are roughly 16x24, they are deckle edge. I'm thinking I'll top hinge the prints and watch them over time to see if there is any changes to the print due to downward strain.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 01:02:15 am »

Every masking tape I've ever met has gone one of two ways - either dries and crumbles to dust, leaving a crusty residue, or turns to sticky  gloop leaving an evil residue. Surgical tape is designed to be replaced every day, and I do not believe is an archival solution.

I think the best way forward for the OP would be to explore conservation methods you mention; perhaps even talk to a conservator ?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 01:05:34 am by Simon J.A. Simpson »

bellevuefineart

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 12:37:04 pm »

put it in a float frame, or shadow box, and use very small earth magnets. In the float frame or shadow box you can make mounts at the corners and center with foam core and glue small earth magnets to them, then use magnets on the art to hang it in the frame. Works great, no glue or adhesive on the art. I've done this with paints on mylar.

greyscale

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 12:59:05 pm »

Lineco Mounting corners might work, used to support the bottom of the artwork.
Pages: [1]   Go Up