Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Cambo Actus MV  (Read 1499 times)

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
New Cambo Actus MV
« on: April 22, 2022, 11:44:54 am »

Cambo likes to launch soft openings ... We thought this was being released today, but they snuck it in a week ago ....

So we do have some content and perspective on this new camera, and it is available for order now.

Introduction to Cambo Actus MV

Cambo Actus MV FAQ

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

nazdravanul

• Stefan Iacob - visual artist
Re: New Cambo Actus MV
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 01:32:48 am »

Cambo likes to launch soft openings ... We thought this was being released today, but they snuck it in a week ago ....

So we do have some content and perspective on this new camera, and it is available for order now.

Introduction to Cambo Actus MV

Cambo Actus MV FAQ

Steve Hendrix/CI

I counted 19 knobs on that thing … vs 6 knobs on my Arca Swiss M2. Just sayin’  8) :D

(And yes, I do understand the difference in movements, and I also do applaud Cambo for laying out a new view camera. but still … 19 knobs ?  ;D  )
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 01:35:57 am by nazdravanul »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 07:20:45 am »

Beautiful camera.

I would probably be interested if I had not bought an M2 recently.

The slight concern I would have frankly is the accuracy of zeroed movements with such a high level of complexity. But perhaps they made it work.

Cheers,
Bernard

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 03:45:45 pm »

I counted 19 knobs on that thing … vs 6 knobs on my Arca Swiss M2. Just sayin’  8) :D

(And yes, I do understand the difference in movements, and I also do applaud Cambo for laying out a new view camera. but still … 19 knobs ?  ;D  )

Actually there are 20 knobs, not 19! But 11 of them are friction control, all on the left side of the camera. An advantage for the self locking gearing of the Arca Swiss view cameras is the lack of knobs. To be fair, the Cambo MV has more movement options than the Arca Swiss M2, so counting only movement control knobs, the score is more like 9 to 6.

But view cameras are complex devices with many different aspects and features and a decision on which is best for one's use is rarely a simple determination. I come from a Sinar background, and yet, the Arca Swiss has been a favorite view camera of mine for years. The Actus product line was a substantial development in terms of bringing view cameras back to the masses (relatively), due to their small size, modest price, and ability to use with many cameras and lenses.

Vive la dif·fé·rence!

Steve Hendrix/CI

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 03:58:51 pm »

Beautiful camera.

I would probably be interested if I had not bought an M2 recently.

The slight concern I would have frankly is the accuracy of zeroed movements with such a high level of complexity. But perhaps they made it work.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard, it's a view camera, not a nuclear reactor. It's not that complex.  ;)

Accuracy is determined by whether it is truly zeroed (and can be) and whether the scale indicates it as such. In those terms it depends upon the adjustment of that gear, and if it is not accurate, most view cameras allow for that adjustment. I've had a few clients send view cameras to me for adjustment. The accuracy extends to the feel of the detent, whether it is a squishy detent or a more click-like detent. The Actus MV has a more a click-like detent.

We have an Arca Swiss M in our studio and the tactile feel and accuracy of the zero detent position between the Arca Swiss M Monolith and the Cambo MV cameras is virtually identical.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Pages: [1]   Go Up