Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marks on Paper (HP Z3100 Printer)  (Read 446 times)

ncphotoman

Marks on Paper (HP Z3100 Printer)
« on: April 20, 2022, 09:34:23 pm »

So I am getting these marks on my paper when printing.  See image and area circled in red. I have taken out and cleaned all the printheads.  Found a bit of gunk on the side of the MK/R head.  Is this possibly coming from gunk on the printhead carriage and when it stops to return direction?  Any advice on this is appreciated.  If you do feel it is on the carriage what is the best way to clean that area?  Thanks.

plasakow

Re: Marks on Paper (HP Z3100 Printer)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 01:31:40 pm »

Which way is the carriage travelling in relation to the pic?  Up and down?

ncphotoman

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 03:13:28 pm »

It is going across the print.  The way you see the print is the way it comes off the printer.

plasakow

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 03:33:00 pm »

Unless there's something that's causing a high spot in the paper at that particular point in the scan path, the first thing I would check is the rear carriage bushing.

ncphotoman

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2022, 12:40:55 pm »

No high marks that I can tell and tried several different thicknesses as well. I will look into this bushing.  Would this bushing gather ink gunk (for a lack of better term to use) to deposit like this?

plasakow

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2022, 02:25:07 pm »

No, the rear carriage bushing keeps the printheads at a uniform distance from the media. To inspect it, the easiest way is to remove the right cover. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J0BbPY6ZZY&ab_channel=BobWert

If you find the bushing broken, buy a replacement from LPS computer and nowhere else. The OEM bushings flimsy, and except for LPS the various aftermarket bushings are the same or worse. LPS makes them out of carbon fiber. 

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 04:37:57 am »

A broken rear bushing can be an issue but the solenoid that shifts a wedge on or off the rear bushing for the head height switch can also be a cause for that problem. When I print on the 350 grams Museum Etching I see that the wedge is not completely shifted to the left for the highest position and there are smudges on the paper like you see. I have made an arrangement that I can do it manually. It is seldom that I print on thin papers but in that case I bring the solenoid lever downwards again and let the printer shift the wedge for a lower height. Maybe a crude approach but it suits me. If the printer has to be initialized again it may sense that the solenoid does not properly and I have to bring that lever down too.

At least if you have removed the right panel to clean the service station then you could also take out that light grey "pen, knife, spare cartridge" compartment and check the movements of the solenoid-lever underneath it when the machine is initializing again or after thick and thin paper setting changes. You can insert that compartment again with the cover already installed, it is not symmetric so keep an eye on its shape.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 05:08:20 am by Ernst Dinkla »
Pages: [1]   Go Up