Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GFX 100s for Silent Shooting  (Read 1831 times)

Chris L

Fuji GFX 100s for Silent Shooting
« on: April 19, 2022, 12:56:10 pm »

hi I am interested in this camera to use on broadcast/ TV / Movie sets in silent mode and would like to hear from anyone that has experience with this camera's silent mode:

-is it actually silent?
-are there any strange artifacts or jello distortions when using this mode?
-any other drawbacks? Does the image stabilizing still work in silent mode?

thanks
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 02:49:40 pm by Chris L »

KenTanaka

• Photography by Kenneth Tanaka
Re: Fuji GFX 100s for Silent Shooting
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 12:46:52 pm »

-is it actually silent?

Yes, the electronic shutter-only mode of the GFX is quite silent.  Nothing moves or clacks.  Be aware, however, that a few GF lenses with internal image stabilizers might make some sounds.  The GF 120mm comes to mind; it's positively alien.

Possibly.  "Rolling shutter" effects might occur if the camera or subjects move quickly during exposure.  It's the nature of readout speed on the sensor.

Yes, IS works during ES mode. 

I highly recommend you experiment with the lenses you plan to use before committing.  Rental is your friend.

Chris L

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 02:13:31 pm »

-is it actually silent?

Yes, the electronic shutter-only mode of the GFX is quite silent.  Nothing moves or clacks.  Be aware, however, that a few GF lenses with internal image stabilizers might make some sounds.  The GF 120mm comes to mind; it's positively alien.

Possibly.  "Rolling shutter" effects might occur if the camera or subjects move quickly during exposure.  It's the nature of readout speed on the sensor.

Yes, IS works during ES mode. 

I highly recommend you experiment with the lenses you plan to use before committing.  Rental is your friend.

Thanks for your reply.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 07:54:43 am »

The GFX100s in electronic shutter mode is strictly only for tripod use on mostly static subjects. I own one, it’s unusable hand held due to the slow read out speed.

I recommend the Z9, its silent shutter mode is so good that… there is no mechanical shutter. The next best option is the Sony a1.

Be aware that all e-shutters can display some artifacts if there are certain types of led panels in the scene.
Pages: [1]   Go Up