Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lenses for Photographing Micro-Meteorites  (Read 616 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Lenses for Photographing Micro-Meteorites
« on: April 11, 2022, 11:15:14 am »

I’ve been hunting the very tiny micrometeorites that bombard the Earth, go combust, and arrive to Earth in tiny spheroid shapes from the heat.

Micrometeorites typically are 0.2 to 0.4 millimeters in size.It is said that the bombard all areas of Earth pretty-much equally, about 1 micrometeorite per square meter a year. This means they are everywhere near us, of collecting on flat roofs over time. The problem is to find them. LOL.

I am trying to rig up a system to photograph these little buggers, rather than work with a microscope. Either way, it requires delicate handling.

Are any of you folks doing this, and can you suggest a Nikon F-Mount lens that would be the right size to photography these meteorites?

I would like suggestions on lenses that might also work. I also may try using the Nikon Z7II with the 105m Macro S lens and see how close I get with that.

As for the micrometeors, here is how small they are, and an example of what they look like photographed.

The micrometeorite photo by © 2017 Jon Larsen/Jan Braly Kihle

The photo of a micrometeorite as a speck on the finger photo by Ryan Thompson.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Read More Here:
https://micro-meteorites.com/
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Lenses for Photographing Micro-Meteorites
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 11:27:23 am »

It seems like one way or another you will need a lot more magnification.
If you don't want to use a microscope you might be able to take a bigger lens like 3-500mm and put it on some extension tubes to achieve close focus.
-MattB

TechTalk

Re: Lenses for Photographing Micro-Meteorites
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 11:59:52 pm »

Nice to see that Polaroid MP-4 stand being put to good use! At least you're starting with a very stable platform.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future
Pages: [1]   Go Up