Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importance of UV Glass for Broncolor Beauty Reflector for Ringflash  (Read 1381 times)

Balafre

Greetings - I'm compelled to start by apologising for asking a question that the local Bron rep should be able to answer but I live in New Zealand and we don't have one anymore. Sad, but true. Foolish even. The business that holds the agency no longer have a Bron expert since the luminary stalwart who knew it all backwards flew the coop last Christmas. So I must ask the LuLa community.

PLEASE : What are the risks and/or consequences to me or my subjects of using the Ringflash with the Beauty Reflector without the UV glass collar on the reflector?
I've often shot models with this light head but can obtain a reflector that has no UV collar and I'm struggling to see how or why it might be more risky than using the head alone (other than the fact it concentrates the output light a bit?)

I thank you for any ...... light you can shine on this for me  ;D

Wishing you well,

Charles

Conner999

Re: Importance of UV Glass for Broncolor Beauty Reflector for Ringflash
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 08:33:48 am »

The idea is that strong UV light can cause eye harm, especially over repeated exposure.

That said, you can buy clear 'bomb-film' (keeps window glass together in case of external explosion) that also has an anti-UV coating on Amazon.

I built a Lexan shield for our Godox Ring Flash for use in a Bron Para and then coated it with a UV 'bomb film' for both protection from the tube shattering and UV exposure. Just watch heat build-up as these films are self-adhesive.  Use the 'water-bottle & squeegee method' (check 'net) used for applying any decals.

Balafre

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 03:55:43 pm »

Thank You ! I apologise again if I misled you; the Bron Ringflash already has a UV glass ring in front of the tube - so any UV emanating from it should be captured by that since its already quite common and safe to use the Ring Flash without any further attachments.
The shapers called the Beauty Reflectors (33.123.00 & variant 33.124.00) that attach to and sit in front of the Ring Flash also have a UV protection glass - but all these reflectors do is shape the light they receive that has already been transmitted via the UV protection filter on the Ring Flash head itself, so I'm unclear and would like to understand why a second layer of protection is considered necessary. Part of the reason why Broncolor costs so much is that the product design and testing regimes are incredibly rigorous and scrupulous - problems are ironed out long in advance of release. Have no experience with Godox but chinese stuff scares me.

Aside from that, the Bomb Film would also act as a layer of thermal insulation, increasing the heat within the tube area at high outputs and possibly enhancing the chance of an explosion, making it's presence a self fulfilling prophecy! Who knows? :) Dissipating heat is probably one reason why the UV protection glass ring on the Ring Flash is not sealed flush to the edge, allowing the fans within to circulate the air.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 03:59:15 pm by Balafre »

Balafre

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 04:40:49 pm »

Thank You ! I apologise again if I misled you; the Bron Ringflash already has a UV glass ring in front of the tube - so any UV emanating from it should be captured by that since its already quite common and safe to use the Ring Flash without any further attachments.
The shapers called the Beauty Reflectors (33.123.00 & variant 33.124.00) that attach to and sit in front of the Ring Flash also have a UV protection glass - but all these reflectors do is shape the light they receive that has already been transmitted via the UV protection filter on the Ring Flash head itself, so I'm unclear and would like to understand why a second layer of protection is considered necessary. Part of the reason why Broncolor costs so much is that the product design and testing regimes are incredibly rigorous and scrupulous - problems are ironed out long in advance of release. Have no experience with Godox - chinese stuff scares me.

Aside from that, the Bomb Film would also act as a layer of thermal insulation, increasing the heat within the tube area at high outputs and possibly enhancing the chance of an explosion, making it's presence a self fulfilling prophecy! Who knows? :) Dissipating heat is probably one reason why the UV protection glass ring on the Ring Flash is not sealed flush to the edge, allowing the fans within to circulate the air.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 05:30:02 am »

... but chinese stuff scares me...

Then you have a lot to be scared about ;)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Balafre

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 01:57:29 pm »

;D ;D ;D
And a careful path to tread - one particular chinese Aunt-in-Law of mine, a multi millionaire in her own right, has often exhorted me "...never do business with chinese man..." !!
She knows more than I do, so I take her advice.

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 07:06:05 pm »

I would have to check tomorrow, but if my mind serves me well don´t you remove the UV cover of the ringflash before adapting the soft reflector?

Balafre

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2022, 01:08:52 am »

Ulf, mein Herr, noch einmal haben Sie rechts! Sie sind ein sehr großzügiger und freundlicher Mann. Vielen Dank!

It does ! It must! I never had to do this until now and it makes complete sense. My Ring Flash was bought new from Broncolor but never came with a product sheet so I assumed there wasn't one, but after reading your comment I looked and have just found that too!

https://broncolor.swiss/assets/img/Products/Light/Effect-Lamps/Ringflash/broncolor_download_manuals_lamps_ringflash_en_01.pdf

Bis wieder mein Freund!

Charles

Conner999

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2022, 11:09:23 am »

I misunderstood.

The Godox R1200 Ringflash (via the Ad1200Pro pack) works as well as our former Profoto ProRing2 Plus (so far), and has a removable shield with metal sides and a glass 'donut' on the front - very, very similar to the Bron RF C they obviously copied. Avoids side spill, enable use of the grids, etc.

To avoid the risk of using the RF with no shatter protection in our 88 & 133, etc., the Lexan shield w/film we created clicks into place and mimics the glass cover from the Bron Ringflash P Conversion Kit: Clear sides, donut front. 

We couldn't determine if the tube of the R1200 was UV coated, so we added UV blast film to the DIY 'P Conversion Kit' as a precaution. It doesn't impact ventilation, cuts UV and is another layer of shatter resistance.

Glad you were able to get an answer to your question.

The shapers called the Beauty Reflectors (33.123.00 & variant 33.124.00) that attach to and sit in front of the Ring Flash also have a UV protection glass - but all these reflectors do is shape the light they receive that has already been transmitted via the UV protection filter on the Ring Flash head itself, so I'm unclear and would like to understand why a second layer of protection is considered necessary. Part of the reason why Broncolor costs so much is that the product design and testing regimes are incredibly rigorous and scrupulous - problems are ironed out long in advance of release. Have no experience with Godox but chinese stuff scares me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up