Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how well do Lightroom and Photoshop play with the Apple M processor  (Read 1019 times)

Michael West

Does anyone here have   experience with or knowledge of how well Lightroom and Photoshop run on the Apple M processor machines?

My long in the tooth 2015 imac may require replacement

Thanks

Jonathan Cross

Re: how well do Lightroom and Photoshop play with the Apple M processor
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 02:38:12 am »

Hello Michael,

Last summer I moved from a Windows PC to a 24" M1 iMac.  I am delighted.

I have LR and PS on subscription and so have the latest versions.  Both work as you would expect and the machine is so much faster.  I have external hard drives formatted as exFAT so they will read on both PCs and Macs.  I use two Sandisk portable SSDs alternately for Time Machine.  They come with both USB A and USB C connectors.  After the first run which took a while, Time Machine is very quick, usually some 5 to 10 minutes. 

I have a 16GB, 1TB version and the SOC seems to make it run very well.  My biggest image is almost square and is the result of 9 images stitched with PtGui.  It is about 100MP and the 16-bit TIFF is 1GB.  I handles like any other image in LR.  I do not do video processing so can't comment on that.

All my images, apart from current ones are on external HDs and SSDs and that's fine.  My LR catalogue (38k images) is on the internal SSD.  My only issue was with the Canon Print and Layout plug-in for my Canon Pro-300 printer.  I did have an old 9500MK2, but Canon no longer do current drivers for it   The plug-in worked fine from LR but would not appear in PS.  Canon were perplexed.  It all magically sorted when Adobe released a bug fix for PS. I have M1 profiles for my papers.

As I wrote earlier, I am delighted.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 05:11:19 am »

Here are a couple of links worth reviewing.

On FM.  I have tested 2 versions of the Macbook Pro using HDR/Panos in Lightroom as well as my 2 windows machines.  The table is further into the thread.  Jeff also ran some benchmarks and the same HDR/Panos using my files as well as other tests on several machines including 3 versions of the Studio.  Both are included in this thread.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1748848

On Youtube.  This guy Art has a whole series of tests on LRC, PS and C1 going back to the 1st M1 chip in the Mac Mini and has tested an extensive series of MBP's and now 2 versions of the Studio.  You don't need to go back to the very 1st test videos as he always shows tables with all his data when he's testing a new machine.
https://www.youtube.com/c/ArtIsRight/videos

Both links include the performance of older Mac machines and in my case my Windows desktop and laptop.  As you'll see some tasks just scream with the new Apple silicon, beating even well heeled Mac Pros, tasks that don't use multi-cores as well have less of an improvement but still beat out older Macs.

Hope this helps but ask any questions ...

Mike

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 12:38:30 pm »

Here are a couple of links worth reviewing.

Thanks for posting these: very enlightening.

It seems the application vendors have a lot of development work to do before they will be able to fully leverage the current generation of processors, especially new architectures such as Apple's systems on a chip.  There was a popular saying about hardware performance and software demands back when I was managing an information technology group: "What Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away."  But these days, it appears the hardware designers have pulled well ahead of the software developers.

Michael West

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 04:18:31 pm »

now to determine how they play my my current wacom tablet.

Thank you.

francois

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 08:22:03 am »

now to determine how they play my my current wacom tablet.

Thank you.

Newer Wacom tablet's drivers are supposed to be compatible with Apple silicon Macs.
Francois

Michael West

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 08:39:02 pm »

Newer Wacom tablet's drivers are supposed to be compatible with Apple silicon Macs.

Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up