Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ICC for sublimation substitute one media for another?  (Read 489 times)

smilem

• Color Management Services
ICC for sublimation substitute one media for another?
« on: March 28, 2022, 05:05:56 pm »

Hello, I heard there is a way to make ICC profile for sublimation not from end product, but from other "easy to handle" media. Obviously this sounds crazy to me. But just in case this is not scam can this be done. I would love to take a sheet of paper for a target then end product phone cases, mugs etc.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: ICC for sublimation substitute one media for another?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 06:16:42 pm »

Can be done (I've done a few), not for the faint of heart and yes, from the end product; the only way to profile a device.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Lessbones

Re: ICC for sublimation substitute one media for another?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 08:19:57 pm »

Hello, I heard there is a way to make ICC profile for sublimation not from end product, but from other "easy to handle" media. Obviously this sounds crazy to me. But just in case this is not scam can this be done. I would love to take a sheet of paper for a target then end product phone cases, mugs etc.

If you're doing loads of the exact same product, then yeah, as Andrew said.  But if you're swapping back and forth a ton, and everything has a similar whitepoint and (most importantly) a similar sublimation receptive coating, then you can likely get away with profiling on a flatter, easier to measure substrate.  If I were doing something like ceramics, i'd probably try a profile made for a sheet like chromaluxe and see if it translates.  It may totally not.  Then your next easiest thing would be to linearize on that substrate.  If that doesn't work, then you have no choice but to go the whole 9.
Pages: [1]   Go Up