Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Troubleshooting an individual paper ICC profile issue  (Read 423 times)

forestwoodward

Troubleshooting an individual paper ICC profile issue
« on: March 26, 2022, 01:52:43 pm »

Hi all -

I've done a fair bit of reading and searching in this forum and appreciate all the insight and knowledge that is shared here.

I am troubleshooting issues with an individual paper ICC profile (Canson Rag Photographique Duo) and am stumped.

I should say, I believe it is an ICC profile issue specific to this paper, as printing the exact same files on different papers all yield accurate results.

The issue with this paper is that it is not holding any detail in the blacks - growing quite muddy and rendering the prints unusable.

I have spent hours on end trying to trouble shoot this, downloading and re-downloading the correct ICC profile, reinstalling it etc.

I have tested printing the exact same files on different papers, and the images all come out with the desired detail in the blacks.

As soon as I try to print on the RAG duo though, the blacks become a muddy mess.

I am on Canon pro-1000 with latest firmware. (22.20.0.0)

Printing from indesign (16.0.1)

Mac Catalina (10.15.7)

Any help or insight for additional trouble shooting ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Forest

Simon J.A. Simpson

Re: Troubleshooting an individual paper ICC profile issue
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 02:10:53 pm »

I've not had any success printing colour managed from InDesign.

I export a PDF and then import it into Photoshop and then print from there; or from Lightroom.

From your description of the problem I would ask if you have 'Black Point Compensation' turned-on but that option doesn't seem to exist in the InDesign.

The option exists in the print dialogue of Photoshop but in Lightroom it is automatically always on.

forestwoodward

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 03:38:02 pm »

Hi Simon -

Appreciate the quick response and insight into inDesign printing - I'll give it a go and see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks,
Forest

forestwoodward

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 06:15:47 pm »

Printing out of indesign does seem to be the issue - thanks again.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 12:14:57 pm »

Printing out of indesign does seem to be the issue - thanks again.
You're welcome !

MichaelKoerner

• www.medien-atelier.at
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 10:31:02 am »

From your description of the problem I would ask if you have 'Black Point Compensation' turned-on but that option doesn't seem to exist in the InDesign.

When I open "Edit" > "Color settings" I can set Rendering Intent and Black Point Compensation (Indesign 17.1).
Take care, those settings also get used when Indesign converts colors for PDF export, for example when exporting to PDF/X1-a.
I use Indesign for printing quite often. The only drawback (in my view): Sometimes I have to restart the application when it fails to send print jobs properly/completely to the printer, which happens occasionally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up