Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Set Camera Profile in Import Settings  (Read 881 times)

pflower

Can't Set Camera Profile in Import Settings
« on: March 25, 2022, 09:42:35 am »

I've made a couple of camera profiles for my A7RIV using a Color Checker Passport and the X-rite export preset.  Both profiles were made successfully and I can access both of them in the Develop Module Profile Browser.

However I can't make an import preference so that they are automatically applied to images made via that camera in the Preferences/Preset menu, if I try and do so by identifying the camera and then going to "User Presets" they are not visible, but other profiles for other cameras that I made using exactly the same process are visible.  I am on a Mac and they are properly stored in user/application support/Adobe/Camera Raw/Camera Profiles but seem to be invisible in Preferences but not in the Profile Browser.

Any thoughts on why I can apply these through the Profile Browser but can't see them in the Preferences menu?

Thanks

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

pflower

Re: Can't Set Camera Profile in Import Settings
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 04:49:25 pm »

Thanks for the links - things have changed since then - now you have to go to Preferences/Presets and then set up your camera and the relevant profile.  But the principle and procedure is just the same.

When generating an export  profile with X-rite from the color checker the software stores the new profile in username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/Cameraprofiles.

Those profiles are immediately available (well after re-starting LR) for use in the Profile Browser in the Develop Module and can be attached to images when in the Develop Module.  No problems at all.

But if I want to set up an automatic preset for specific cameras that will apply a profile upon import, then I can set up a camera as normal but when trying to apply a profile as a preset all the standard Adobe Profiles are there but under "User Presets" there are only 3 very old presets that are available - none of the presets in the above path are listed.  The same is true if you go to the Library Module and try and attach a profile to a photo from the Quick Develop Menu under the Saved Preset Menu.  There is a drop down list but the user profiles doesn't  show the profiles in the CameraRaw/Camerprofiles folder.  Instead I have 3 very old profiles which if I try and find by spotlight don't actually seem to exist on the computer anymore.  These were probably generated in much earlier versions of Lightroom and since deleted.

Weird. I have reset preferences, I have explored every folder in the Library, Catalog Settings etc.  Copied my profiles to all those folders and yet I still get just 3 very old profiles available when the drop down menu goes to User Presets. 

This is not much of a problem in reality  since it is easy to import photos from a particular camera and then sync from the Develop Module the relevant camera profile to all the import photos. But this is not how LR is supposed to work, so can anyone else shed any light on this - or is it just me?

Thanks

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/acr-raw-defaults.html
And for Lightroom (really the same):
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/using/raw-defaults.html

BAB

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 05:40:37 pm »

this was just updated a few days ago maybe it will help ?

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/faq-install-presets-profiles.html
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

pflower

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 01:33:06 pm »

Thanks for the thought but no - if I try to import the profiles I want I just get a message saying that they're already imported.

The profiles are stored in the right place, the Profile Browser can see and use them.

But where you are presented with a drop down menu to choose user profiles (i.e. in the Quick Develop menu in the Library Module) and in the Preferences/Presets menu system - they are invisible.  Instead I am only offered 3 very old profiles which have been deleted from my computer and are no longer available.  If I do a spotlight search then the Finder can't find them.

Weird and I can't work it out - nor could an Adobe Support guy who spent an hour screen sharing with me.

The reason why  I can't set up an automatic import profile for difference cameras is probably more annoying than the fact that I can't.  I just simply add the correct profile after importing in the Develop Module.

this was just updated a few days ago maybe it will help ?

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/faq-install-presets-profiles.html

jwlimages

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 08:09:32 pm »

Definitely something weird going on for me, too. Have used custom camera profiles (Lumariver Pro) for years, am used to them being elements in capture import presets. So today I created a new LR catalog specifically for one shoot, loaded a Develop preset that included camera profile (Fuji XPro 2), but when the import completed all files used Adobe's generic "Color" camera profile. Not only that, but when I go to Develop module to try to associate correct camera profile (the one that is supposed to be part of the Develop Preset for import), no profiles listed other than Adobe's. When I activate the Profile 'selection' pallet, there is no "Browse" button as before; and just as you found...
no - if I try to import the profiles I want I just get a message saying that they're already imported.

So I opened another LR catalog - one I've been using for years, and the whole camera profile section behaves just as it always has, with none of this disappearing profile stuff. Quite bizarre.

Now I'm curious to see what happens after I get home & import this LRcat into my existing LR catalog.

No idea if any of this might be relevant, but specs are MacBook Pro 16 (M1-Max) running OSX12.2.1 Monterey, LR v.10.2 (haven't updated since catalog work happens on an older MacPro stuck on Mojave)

So I guess it's not just you, pflower...

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up