Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keep it simple? Camera settings overload!  (Read 338 times)

Frans Waterlander

Keep it simple? Camera settings overload!
« on: March 22, 2022, 06:36:23 pm »

Why do camera manufacturers load up on possible camera settings? Is more really better? I doubt it. Take for instance the Nikon Z 50 entry-level mirrorless camera. I entered the settings into a spreadsheet and printed them out for "easy" reference at home and on the road. Not including movie shooting, it has over 150 different settings taking up 3 pages! There are only a handful of setting that I change more or less often. The available resets would wipe out more than half of my preferred settings!

One of the silliest settings: if you delete an image, you must choose whether the next image shown on the monitor will be the previous or next image. I would think always showing the next image would be the logical choice. I know cameras are complicated but come on now.

What do you think?

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Keep it simple? Camera settings overload!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 04:40:12 am »

I agree that cameras have become very complicated; at the same time you have more choice to let them do what you want them to do.

For this reason i want to stick with one camera. I set the values once and learn to work with them blindly.
I don't want to deal with an other camera or i get mixed up, also with what button to push when.

PS the Nikon Z9 has only a brief manual... a printed booklet would be a small encyclopedia...the complete manual is not even published as a pdf, but it is online so they can change it with the firmware...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 05:45:16 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

stamper

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 04:57:03 am »

I don't have this camera but I would have thought there is a my menu set up? Nikon cameras have had this function for years.

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 02:54:27 pm »

I don't have this camera but I would have thought there is a my menu set up? Nikon cameras have had this function for years.
The MY MENU of the Z 50 let's you create a list of up to 20 settings. While this is handy to quickly verify or change more or less often used settings, it doesn't do anything to choose or monitor hundreds of other settings.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 03:03:36 pm by Frans Waterlander »
Pages: [1]   Go Up