Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LARGE canvas print  (Read 604 times)

gchappel

LARGE canvas print
« on: March 20, 2022, 08:15:37 pm »

I have a client that wants a stretched canvas print as large as "possible."
He is envisioning something like 8x12feet. 
The largest I can easily find is about 56" tall- 60" canvas with a 2 inch border.
I have tried to talk him into a tryptic- he wants a single large image? 
I can get enough data to print this- but does anyone know a source that prints larger than 60" canvas?
Thanks
gary

mearussi

Re: LARGE canvas print
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 08:33:44 pm »

I have a client that wants a stretched canvas print as large as "possible."
He is envisioning something like 8x12feet. 
The largest I can easily find is about 56" tall- 60" canvas with a 2 inch border.
I have tried to talk him into a tryptic- he wants a single large image? 
I can get enough data to print this- but does anyone know a source that prints larger than 60" canvas?
Thanks
gary
Companies that print billboards have 10' printers. They're solvent ones though so won't look quite as nice as a regular inkjet print, but that's really all that's available. On the plus side they are more durable and fade resistant.
As an example here's the one in my town: http://oregonblueprint.com/

Also stretcher bars are probably unrealistic, unless you have them specially made. This is also probably going to be really expensive.

gchappel

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 09:28:12 pm »

Thanks for the info!
I will pass this along. 
Thanks again
gary

mearussi

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 11:00:23 am »

Another possibility is printing it as a mural using an inkjet "paper" with a self-adhesive backing (like PhotoTex). Done right it can look seamless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27VoW9CGKD0&ab_channel=JumpermanTech

bellevuefineart

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 02:06:52 pm »

This seems problematic. The problem is that stretched canvas sags and the weight of the canvas will cause it to sag and get loose. The larger you go, the more potential there is for the canvas to get loose over time. With something this big, I would look for a way to mount it to a large cradle board. Chances are you'll have to make your own cradle board to make it work.

If you look at huge canvases in places like Le Louvre, or the Mucha paintings in Prague, you will notice they all sag, and they're all a bit loose. That's acceptable for a historical piece in an internationally recognized museum, but a new canvas that is meant for decor, will likely result in complaints, especially over time.

For something beyond 48"x92", or 4'x8', you're not going to get a single piece of wood to mount it to. You'll have to use more than one panel, and then probably join those panels with wood putty or something, then sand them so that the seam doesn't show once the canvas is mounted.

This project sounds like it's fraught with issues and I honestly wouldn't want it. If you do it, you should charge a lot of money - far more than normal, because this one is going to take some serious time and effort, and if... if you have a print issue at all, then you've just spent a ton of money on canvas and ink. And of course, how on earth are you going to UV coat that thing?

gchappel

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 06:24:10 pm »

I saw the mounting was going to be difficult- so I am just delivering the print as a rolled canvas.
I have learned the hard stupid way to charge a lot for prints mounted and framed that are over 30x40".
I do not do canvas at all- doesn't fly for my own work. 
This will be a copy of a watercolor piece painted by his daughter.  We have the original, and permission from the daughter.
I am trying to talk him into a reasonable size, but we will see.
Thanks again for the thoughts- gives me more data to discuss with him.
gary

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 07:29:41 pm »

I had a 6'x8' canvas done by Artisan Colour in Phoenix AZ. The master printer was great to deal with and we sent samples back and forth so I could match what they would produce with what I was seeing on my printer at home. Drop shipped across the country as a roll, then stretched and framed by a pro frame shop in South Carolina. Visited the client almost three years after the fact and was delighted to see in person that not only did the colors come out as advertised, there was no sagging.
PS IF I remember, they can go up to 120 inches wide.

Lessbones

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 07:43:06 pm »

I can print up to 98" wide on my UV printer, and the length is unlimited--  I have printed similarly sized pieces on hand-gessoed linen (which is wildly expensive).  I see online canvas rolls in 10' lengths--  they won't be gessoed or anything, but it's a possibility--

give me a shout if you want more info:  info@chromacenter.nyc

gchappel

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 09:30:36 pm »

Thanks again!!
Let me see what he actually wants. 
Love learning the options I can offer
gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up